Jet XJT 13410khz

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

screamin72

Stumbled on this doing a slow band scan. Thought at first it was an image of a strong AM broadcaster but I looked at the audio waterfall then listened and decided thatss a weird one. Did some searching on google and found it is STANAG 4285 PSK or JET XJT. could be USA or New Zealand. No clear information.

I didn't bother trying to decode it. All it will be is encryption anyway.

Jet XJT STANAG 4285 PSK - YouTube

Also found French Navy STANAG 4285 at 18365khz upper side band.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
If it was unencrypted STANAG then MultiPSK, Sorcerer or Sigmira would do the job. I've seen folks reporting STANAG that was just running a RY type test tape, so it's worth a look...

What is Jet XJT? I've never heard of that....Mike

S

screamin72

If it was unencrypted STANAG then MultiPSK, Sorcerer or Sigmira would do the job. I've seen folks reporting STANAG that was just running a RY type test tape, so it's worth a look...

What is Jet XJT? I've never heard of that....Mike

This site is where I learned it was called Jet (XJT) before it was realized ithat it is STANAG
E2K 12 - Oddities

Token

What is Jet XJT? I've never heard of that

The term XJT was assigned / used quite a while ago when the signal first appeared in common use. There was a couple year period of time there where hobbyist were unsure of its source or its use. Although the X designator XJT is still on the list (ENIGMA Control List, http://www.numbersoddities.nl/ecl25 2011.pdf ), the use of the term Jet or XJT has fallen from common application. Most people now know it as STANAG 4285. However, there are other signals that sound similar, such as STANAG 4529 and certain Chinese modems. So going by sound alone it is hard to narrow down, but looking at the total signal, type of PSK, rate, bandwidth, starts to get a better ID on it.

Also, a common misconception is that all STANAG signals sound like this, and so people sometimes fall in the bad habit of just calling it STANAG. STANAG is simply a set of NATO standards, and the term STANAG, followed by a number, can apply to modems, tire sizes, bullet design, gas mask performance, etc. The term STANAG without a number following it is useless.

Here are three different common STANAG signals found in the HF spectrum and there are several more:

Link 11, also called STANAG 5511:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__-rtLRQUhg

STANAG 4529, sometimes mistaken for STANAG 4285:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ite8yZxEjKI

STANAG 4285, the signal originally seen in this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-CgZNJIAVs

Another commonly seen STANAG signal is STANAG 4481 FSK, I don’t happen to have an example of it up on my YouTube channel, I should probably put one up. 4481 FSK is the designator for one of the 850 Hz shift versions of RTTY found all over HF.

T!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Thanks for the interesting info guys.

Token what is your YouTube channel? If it has audio samples and examples of decodes, this would be good stuff to add to our HF Digital Decoding wiki....Mike

S

screamin72

What software is that you have in your videos Token? Is it compatible with RTL dongles?

Token

Token what is your YouTube channel? If it has audio samples and examples of decodes, this would be good stuff to add to our HF Digital Decoding wiki....Mike
Mike, samples yes, decodes no. I set it up primarily to show people the variety of signals they might run across on HF and to hopefully help one or two people ID those strange noises they hear.

Channel is at: https://www.youtube.com/user/FirstToken

T!

Token

What software is that you have in your videos Token? Is it compatible with RTL dongles?

Last question first, as far as the software I use and RTL Dongles, no, most of the software used in my vids do not support the RTL Dongles. One or two of the vids are using SDR# or HDSDR, and those do support the RTLs, but the majority of the vids are with different software. Only one vid on my channel is actually using an RTL Dongle.

Which software I use in my vids kind of depends on which SDR I am using, you will note several different pieces of software used. When using my WinRadio G31DDDC or G33DDC then the software is the WinRadio supplied GUI. When using the Perseus SDR the software used is the Perseus GUI. When using one of the RFSpace SDRs (I have the SDR-14, 2 SDR-IQ’s, and the NetSDR) I most typically use SpectraVue, however I sometimes use HDSDR with those.

T!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I understand from the author (via UDXF) that MultiPSK works with the RTL dongles. However there's an additional DLL that's needed.

Probably the best place to find out about this would be the MultiPSK Yahoo group...Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Nearly at the bottom of that page, MultiPSK is listed there along with the various DLLs and installation needs...Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.