Jetblue UHF Trunking system at JFK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
I happened to find this January 28,2009 press release from ARINC corporation where they mention that they along with the AVTEC corporation installed a communications in the JetBlue Terminal 5 facility at JFK. The article mentioned that the communications system includes a 5 channel UHF trunking system and six VHF-AM radios and antennas systems to support both air and ground communications.

Here is the link to the press release.
ARINC Radio Unit Delivers Advanced Communications for Spectacular New JetBlue Terminal 5 at JFK

The question I have is does anyone know what type of trunking system this is?

I also happened to find the FCC license for this system WQIV224. Looks like the system is only about 20 watts.

Last edited:

CqDx

Thanks for the find, for those interested, the frequencies licensed for 20W are

I hear a lot of airline traffic (baggage handlers) on 451.6375, the others seem to be not as active or quiet.
No control channel was heard on any of the frequencies, I am guessing this is a LTR system, but I don't hear the distinctive LTR squawk in the beginning and end of transmission.

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
Yeah I also have a feeling that it may also be a LTR system. That's interesting that you only hear the baggage handlers, I would figure that their would be other departments using the system such as concessions, administration, other ground crew functions such as fuelers.

The press release I found mentioned that kenwood participated in the installation and I wonder what model Kenwoods they went with.

I also found this PDF with some information about The Scout dispatch console from AVTEC that they decided to go with.
http://www.gcseac.com/Portals/GCS/PropertyAgent/3978/Files/3198/Scout Brochure.pdf

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
Yes its an LTR and 451.6375 is the busiest frequency of the bunch.

I pass through JFK pretty often and have monitored the system and picked up various talk groups including other departments such as customer service.

I'll submit the info into the database once I get home most likely next week.
Btw - AA also has a LTR system at JFK which I'll also submit data on.

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
I was looking through new fcc applications and happened to come across a new site that it looks like JetBlue is going to add to there UHF trunking system in NYC.

WQIV224
27-01 Queens Plaza North
Long Island City, NY QUEENS County

ULS Application - Industrial/Business Pool, Trunked - 0005011582 - JetBlue Airways Corporation - Frequency Summary

I believe that this new site corresponds to their new corporate headquarters. In 2012 I recall hearing that they plan on moving from Forest Hills to Long Island City.

Status
Not open for further replies.