Jetstream JTNMO220 5/8 wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I never thought I'd be asking an antenna question.. But here goes.

I ordered a Kenwood TH-D74 tri-band handheld which includes 220 Mhz. This is my first rig that will cover the 1.25 meter band. Because of this, I currently have no antennas for that frequency.

I searched around for a mobile antenna with an NMO base and came across this: https://www.gigaparts.com/jetstream-jtnmo220.html I did a bit more research, but can't find any reviews... Not even on Eham.

Has anyone used this antenna and if so, can they comment on it? Is Jetstream stuff reasonably good or is it junk? I'm probably going to order one. For the price, I can just toss it in the trash if it doesn't work :) :)

And.. Anyone else here run 220 Mhz mobile? If so, what antenna do you use?

Thanks in advance.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I don't know the source of Jetstream antennas, but I'm inclined to avoid them.

For a 222 MHz mobile antenna, my suggestion is to get a Larsen NMOQ along with a suitable NMO mag-mount and cut the whip for your intended frequency. There will be a cutting chart in the package, but a quarter-wave on 222 MHz is about 12 inches long.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the quick reply.... I considered cutting a VHF quarter wave down to 1.25 meters. That's actually the lowest price route. But... the 5/8 has a bit more gain.

Another option was to go with my favorite antenna (Larsen), PulseLarsen NMO-220B Black Antenna Mobile Single 220 mhz -- But I will be doing so little talking on 220 that I'll rarely use it. That's why I was looking for 'cheap' :)

Status
Not open for further replies.