JFK/LGA monitoring recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bezking

Hi all,

I live about 20 miles from Kennedy Airport on Long Island, NY. I'm looking to get into air monitoring for JFK, LGA, and maybe Islip MacArthur. I have been looking at the GRE PSR300 handheld as an entry airband scanner that I can bring with me to airshows, etc. However, at home I would like to use it with an external antenna. So, my question is twofold:

1. Is the PSR300 any good for airband?
  2. Can someone recommend a nice and preferable inexpensive outdoor antenna for this handheld?

Thanks!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Ben, being where you are, I'd be real hesitant to put an external antenna of any considerable size (like a Diamond discone) on a GRE scanner. You may need to put a bandpass filter in line, like the one Scanner Master sells, otherwise I'd be willing to bet that overloading will be a problem.

Let's be clear here - are you just looking at Civil air, or are you going for milair coverage as well? 73 Mike

bezking

Hi Mike,
My focus is just on civil stuff right now. So if overloading would be a concern I now wonder if an external antenna is not even needed, or if a higher-quality rubber duck would do the job.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Ben if it were me, I'd construct a simple ground plane and see what happens. I'd put it up in the attic as a test area (if you have one), and if all is well there, move it outside.

There is also the Maldol VHF air duckie (AL500 series), but you would of course be hampered by all the surrounding buildings and so forth. 73 Mike

SCPD

QRT
Doesn't the psr300 have a built in Attenuator? If he did use a psr300 with an external antenna and the Attenuator on shouldn't he be ok?

hawkeye32

Premium Subscriber
Doesn't the psr300 have a built in Attenuator? If he did use a psr300 with an external antenna and the Attenuator on shouldn't he be ok?

I would think so yes, I don't have the PSR300, but i have the BC898T that i use for for civil and Milair, along with a discone outside. I am roughly 20 miles from detroit metro, and selfridge AFB. For some transmissions i do have to have the ATT on, and some i don't. He should be able to use the ATT on transmissions, if they are overloading it.

SCPD

QRT
Thats what i thought also. I had the psr300 and i remembering it having the attn. And i think he can program it per frequency or globally i might be wrong. I really don't think he will overload the radio at all

Status
Not open for further replies.