JFTB Los Alamitos (CA) NXDN System

N6HHR

Premium Subscriber
Greetings,

I am 2 miles away from the Joint Forces Training Base (JFTB) Los Alamitos (CA). They have a 3 frequency VHF NXDN system for Security,
Maintenance, Base Ops, etc. RR identifies it as an IDAS-D system. I use a Whistler TRX-2 here in the shack with a good discone antenna
outside. Using EZ Scan, I can manually program these 3 frequencies into the scanner as 'conventional NXDN', leave the RAN code at 'any'
and the Talkgroup ID at '0' (any ID). I drop these 3 'conventional' channels into a scanlist and scan the list by itself. With this
setup, I can catch most of the traffic and hear it just fine. It is not encrypted. The display even reports the RAN (0) and the
Radio ID of each radio as it transmits. Of course, I miss some traffic because the scanner is not really following the trunked
system.

But,

When I import this trunked system from RR into EZ Scan and let it populate the system with RR's identified talkgroups (ie: DEC 01-0002,
Mode D, Base Security, etc.) and try to scan it as a trunked system (all by itself in one scanlist), the scanner never hears anything
on this system.

I'm wondering if the data in RR is maybe not current? And if not, how could I sleuth the system and grab the current system data so
I can submit updated info to RR?

Looking forward to your suggestions.

73, David, N6HHR

Reactions: B

LB_Scan

HI

Do you happen to have those frequencies and talkgroups for the Forces Training Base (JFTB) Los Alamitos (CA). thanks

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
When I import this trunked system from RR into EZ Scan and let it populate the system with RR's identified talkgroups (ie: DEC 01-0002,
Mode D, Base Security, etc.) and try to scan it as a trunked system (all by itself in one scanlist), the scanner never hears anything
on this system.

I would try manually entering it twice, one for NXDN (C) and one for NXDN (D), also make sure the RAN is set for any (not sure if 0 is any, but that is what RR database imports for that system), and mode to auto. Also make sure there is a wildcard for both the TGs and Radio IDs. See if that helps.

N6HHR

Premium Subscriber
HI

Do you happen to have those frequencies and talkgroups for the Forces Training Base (JFTB) Los Alamitos (CA). thanks

Sure.

I have heard JFTB traffic (NXDN) on all 3 of these frequencies.

Talk groups:
01-0002 - Security Force
01-0003 - Base Ops
01-0004 - Maintenance
01-0008 - Security Tac
This is info on RR. I have not been able to confirm these TGs.

Info is also here: Joint Forces Training Base (JFTB) Los Alamitos Trunking System, Los Alamitos, California (radioreference.com)

Happy hunting. Please let me know if you 'crack the code'.

N6HHR

Premium Subscriber
I would try manually entering it twice, one for NXDN (C) and one for NXDN (D), also make sure the RAN is set for any (not sure if 0 is any, but that is what RR database imports for that system), and mode to auto. Also make sure there is a wildcard for both the TGs and Radio IDs. See if that helps.

Thanks Raleigh. Trying that now. Will report back soon..

LAflyer

Global DB Admin
If you discover any updates please submit them to the Db.

Based on the change history, looks like the system was first identified in 2018, with additional talkgroup info submitted in 2019 by RR members.
Since there was more than one person involved, I suspect it was accurate at the time of submittal.

LB_Scan

Hi N6HHR

Not sure you have these frequencies below. Also not sure if the JFTB traffic (NXDN) using those frequencies below. thanks BTW the 14.0625 is AM frequency. Tell me if you here any talk on those frequencies below so i can add those too.

Los Alamitos Army Airfield (SLI)
Base Operations

FrequencyLicenseTypeToneAlpha TagDescriptionModeTag
143.0625RM79.7 PLBase OpsBase OpsFMMilitary
143.7125RM103.5 PLBase Security 1Base SecurityFMLaw Dispatch
141.400BMBase Security 2Base Security TacFMLaw Tac
143.5875RM94.8 PLBase Fire 1Base FireFMFire Dispatch
143.050BMBase Fire 2Base Fire 2FMFire-Tac
143.7375RM127.3 PLMaintBase MaintenanceFMMilitary
139.0375RM79.7 PLRamp MaintRamp MaintenanceFMMilitary
143.2125RM173.8 PLUTIL SecurtyUtilities SecurityFMMilitary
139.5375MUTIL 2Utilities Tactical 2FMMilitary

LB_Scan

Hi LAflyer

The 2 talkgroups i heard is

Talk groups:
01-0002 - Security Force
01-0003 - Base Ops so far.

LB_Scan

Hi

When I duplicate the nxdn from (d) to (c) i get

Talkgroup Tags

2050 Base Security
2051 Base Ops
2052 Public Works
2056 Security Tac

N6HHR

Premium Subscriber
A) I scanned that list of VHF FM frequencies pretty heavily for 4 months last year. Never heard a peep on any of them. I believe they've all been replaced by the NXDN system.

B) I can only hear the NXDN traffic when I program the three VHF 16x.xxxx frequencies as NXDN conventional and scan them by themselves in one scanlist. I never get anything on the trunked system imported from RR. Using Whistler TRX-1 and TRX-2, and EZScan software.

C) I get the same "translated" talkgroup tags when I change the system type from NXDN D to NXDN C in EZScan. And no traffic heard on NXDN C at all.

D) I am two miles north of the base and can hear the NXDN system at full signal strength when they do transmit. My wife works on the base part time, and sometimes I tag along with her with my TRX-1. In the interest of research, of course ;)

E) I have heard traffic on:
- 32.100 FM 40th Infantry Division "Sunburst"
- 41.500 FM UH-60s Air-Air and Air-Ground (very low power)
- 140.1250 FM 100th Training Support Battalion

Continuing the quest...

LB_Scan

Hi N6HHR

If there replaced by the NXDN system, there missing Base Fire, is Security Force was Utilities Security, Base Maintenance and Ramp Maintenance are they 01-0004 Directorate of Public Works.

When your with your wife at the base search for the JFTB Los Alamitos fire channels.

The best thing to do is search between 160 - 170 nxdn on filter.

N6HHR

Premium Subscriber
-- Please scroll up and re-read my initial inquiry --

I found my answer, although it isn't the answer I wanted. The RR Wiki on NXDN says this:
Soo, THAT'S why my TRX-1 and -2 can't follow the JFTB system. At least I don't have to beat my head against the wall anymore. No, it's not quite enough to make me buy another (Bearcat) scanner. Well, not yet anyway ;)

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. I am happy to let this thread be closed.