Job seekers getting asked for Facebook passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

abear27

Anything you put on Facebook will probably eventually become public - Maybe accidently through sharing, changes to the privacy policy, or through other nefarious means. I don't think that means you shouldn't be on Facebook, I think it means you need to stop and think about what you decide to share with others.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Anything you put on Facebook will probably eventually become public - Maybe accidently through sharing, changes to the privacy policy, or through other nefarious means. I don't think that means you shouldn't be on Facebook, I think it means you need to stop and think about what you decide to share with others.

Well, well, well....someone FINALLY gets it. Thanks!

It's not "stupid" to be on Facebook, but it certainly is stupid to ACT STUPID on Facebook. There is a distinct difference, IMHO, between the two.

com501

Of course, some of us work for employers who require that we DON'T have twitter, faceplant or other public pages.

You want friends? Make them face to face instead of in a virtual world. And if you want a garden, walk outside and plant one.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I would either walk out of the interview, after thanking them for the opprotunity, or turn it around on the person and ask them for their username and password, and tell them that I am still deciding if I wish to work there, if they refused then that would probably be the end of the interview.
I keep my social life seperate from my work life. None of my coworkers are my friends on face book simply due to my belief that work is work, and outside of work is not my coworkers, nor my employers business.

JoeyC

Wow. Some of you people are really in the dark about social networking sites.

First of all, you don't want people knowing your business, DON'T POST IT. You don't want people knowing where you slept last night, who you did, where you are vacationing or anything else private? DON'T POST IT. Other people talking crap about you on Facebook? BFD. They can talk crap about you in person and off the internet too. How is not having Facebook gonna prevent that? Its called GOSSIP. Get over it. You don't need Facebook or Twitter in your life for people to talk behind your back. I couldn't care less who knows what I ate for dinner last night if I post a pic or my dinner date posted it, couldn't care less about who sees my pictures if I choose to share them and my employer doesn't care either.

The content of what you post on the internet says a lot about the person. An employer should have every right to look at someones Facebook page if its online, but NO WAY is giving them your password appropriate.

If your potential employer wants your Facebook password, your simple answer should be NO. If you don't feel comfortable with that, then you tell them you don't have a Facebook account. Simple. There are simple settings in your account that make it difficult for casual users to locate one even if it is there.

This forum sure seems to attract a lot of super paranoids types.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

It has nothing to do with paranoia. I lock down my face book to limit who can see it, NOBODY at my work can see it for a reason, nor do they have any "right" to see it. Not now not ever. Yes it may be on the 'net but that does not give my, nor a future employer any "right" to have access, nor view it if I have set it up so the "casual" user cannot see it.

abear27

Facebook provides you free service because they see you as their product, not their customer. Our information is what they use to make money.

You may have your personal information locked down today, but don't forget how often Facebook has changed its Privacy Policy – They don’t have a good history of protecting your information.

I could easily see them “resetting” their “default privacy policy” and exposing all those th ing you thought were private.

com501

Whether facebook tells you or not, like Google, they are marketing everything you DO on the site. They may or may not anonymize the data, that's your problem.

As a consequence, anyone who doesn't want their PERSONAL DATA marketed (like they are doing with SMART METERS on your house!) then don't play.

Several security consultants can now tell you, reliably, that Google can determine who you are and what you are doing, whether you sign in or not, based on your IP and what you look at.

Large computers and data aggregation from multiple sites presents a slippery slope of data that eventually points to you, personally.

Some of us choose not to play, and limit how much data we put on the net whenever possible.

brandon

Database Admin
I think sharing a ham radio callsign is more of a privacy issue than having a Facebook account. But that's just my opinion.

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
Probably true. Of course, when you look up mine, you'll find the post office.....

As in a PO Box? Or a mugshot? :D

Really, you vs. me in this thread is absurd. I think in a face to face conversation you and I would likely agree on 95% of the issues we discussed.

I continue to believe that it is not stupid to have an account on Facebook, Twitter, anywhere, as long as you have the sense to be careful in what you post. I also respect those, including yourself, that choose not to do so for "security" reasons. Fine, I understand.

But....my original question to the OP has never been answered. There's no high horse. He's a "drive by shooter" that very likely has no balls and is only here to disrupt things (thus the troll comment). His information regarding the attempt to obtain someone's information about their Facebook account is disturbing, yes. His blanket opinion of anyone having a Facebook account being stupid is...well...stupid. What he should have done, in my opinion is:

(If i was stupid enough to have a FB account that is!)
BECAUSE:...

But alas...he did not...and many of us that would have got along fine, played horseshoes, drank beer, bashed Obummer, etc....are now virtually (because as explained earlier this IS a virtual world)at odds.

I choose to be prudent, not paranoid.

Last edited:

com501

As in a PO Box? Or a mugshot? :D

Really, you vs. me in this thread is absurd. I think in a face to face conversation you and I would likely agree on 95% of the issues we discussed.

I continue to believe that it is not stupid to have an account on Facebook, Twitter, anywhere, as long as you have the sense to be careful in what you post. I also respect those, including yourself, that choose not to do so for "security" reasons. Fine, I understand.

But....my original question to the OP has never been answered. There's no high horse. He's a "drive by shooter" that very likely has no balls and is only here to disrupt things (thus the troll comment). His information regarding the attempt to obtain someone's information about their Facebook account is disturbing, yes. His blanket opinion of anyone having a Facebook account being stupid is...well...stupid. What he should have done, in my opinion is:

BECAUSE:...

But alas...he did not...and many of us that would have got along fine, played horseshoes, drank beer, bashed Obummer, etc....are now virtually (because as explained earlier this IS a virtual world)at odds.

I choose to be prudent, not paranoid.

My last comment you quoted wasn't directed at you. And my prudence FAR exceeds yours, I am sure. From where you are standing mine may look like paranoia, but the Government isn't really out to get you, not yet. They just don't care, and that lack of caring will get you in deep kimshee if you aren't very careful.

The best protector of one's rights, is the individual in question. NEVER assume that anything you disclose anywhere WON'T be used against you or to your disadvantage, because it probably already has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.