Job seekers getting asked for Facebook passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyC

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

It has nothing to do with paranoia. I lock down my face book to limit who can see it, NOBODY at my work can see it for a reason, nor do they have any "right" to see it. Not now not ever. Yes it may be on the 'net but that does not give my, nor a future employer any "right" to have access, nor view it if I have set it up so the "casual" user cannot see it.

"right" was a poor choice of words on my part. If your FB page is not locked down, anybody can look at it - a potential employer as well. Don't want people looking at it? Lock it down, as you said, otherwise, look all you want.

newsphotog

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I would either walk out of the interview, after thanking them for the opprotunity, or turn it around on the person and ask them for their username and password, and tell them that I am still deciding if I wish to work there, if they refused then that would probably be the end of the interview.
I keep my social life seperate from my work life. None of my coworkers are my friends on face book simply due to my belief that work is work, and outside of work is not my coworkers, nor my employers business.

This, a thousand times. I couldn't have said it any better. /thread

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
I rarely use Facebook more then say every 3 days or so and post mostly quotes and occasionally non controversial YouTube videos, I never say anything about my employer nor am I friends with anyone at work, employees or clients.

mancow

Database Admin
All I ever see there are three things;
women posting artistic looking sayings about how great women are or how they themselves should be loved more than any other human being
pictures of children doing normal things that are commented on as something spectacular and rare
people with boring cliche sports comments (rock chalk KU etc...) with inane babbling about upsets and whatever (I hate sports so I don't get it)

I hate it and am only there to keep up on certain activities that tend to get posted there. Otherwise, I could not care less if I they shut the servers down tomorrow.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
....Anonymous was supposed to do just that back in november. :lol:
They failed. :evil:

n9zas

Thayne

All I ever see there are three things;
women posting artistic looking sayings about how great women are or how they themselves should be loved more than any other human being
pictures of children doing normal things that are commented on as something spectacular and rare
people with boring cliche sports comments (rock chalk KU etc...) with inane babbling about upsets and whatever (I hate sports so I don't get it)

I hate it and am only there to keep up on certain activities that tend to get posted there. Otherwise, I could not care less if I they shut the servers down tomorrow.

Right on

Kinda like a visual version of 2 meter repeaters without the prostate problems---:p

zz0468

QRT
Banned
One common mistake many people make on-line, including here, is to use the same user ID at multiple locations. Using one's callsign or real name opens one up to all sorts of information leakage, which may be unwanted. Even using the same user name can leave you vulnerable.

I would imagine that it's possible to be safe using Facebook (I don't now and never will), but you have to pay attention to the trail of bread crumbs that you leave behind. But it's easier, when a FB password is demanded by a prospective employer, to say you don't have one, then let them search.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

The article doesn't say whether or not he gave the interviewer the information requested, does it? I'm curious as to how that story actually ends.

scannersnstuff

a friend once said "say anything that you have to say, as if you were in a crowded elevator".
the decline of our nation, has also led more employers to make unreasonable demand's of potential hirees, as well as those who are already employed. i can see an employer regulating the use of social networking site's while an employee is on the clock. i also can understand an employer <especially a governmental entity> prohibiting employee's from displaying/wearing any type of "company" related/issued
item's, while on facebook etc. i also can see an employer ordering employees not to discuss "company" business on facebook. you would not want a police officer for example, to say "yeah, we're going to raid 123. any street tonight". i also know of at least 1 employee who was terminated for using social networking site's, while on the company dime. i do not think a perspective employer has the right to demand access to a facebook page.

Confuzzled

No Facebook.
No Twitter.
No business link websites.
No home pages with your domain name.

No social media sites at all, if you are smart.

Heck, I don't even use any Google services anymore, either.

No Faceplant or Birdie sites here either. I'm smarter than that.

Google only to a limited extent, no GoofyMail.

Confuzzled

One common mistake many people make on-line, including here, is to use the same user ID at multiple locations.

I rarely use the same ID on more than one or two boards, and then only if the subject matter is related.

Unrelated boards get unrelated IDs.

michaelmikesj

Facebook is stupid. Period. I do not have a facebook account either. I don't think anyone was calling anyone else stupid. I think his point was that Facebook is stupid. And as far as a potential employer wanting your password for ANY account is uncalled for. If I were in an interview like this one I would refuse, and if I didn't get the job I would find a good lawyer.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Anonymous is part of the govt,they are trying to force thier agenda when it wouldnt @ all be possible otherwise......

www.youtube.com/v/abe_rC7vDGo

Like WIKILEAKS is a cia front to secretly release into they wouldnt otherwise admit to!

www.youtube.com/v/brGAgrxscOg

Time to get educated my friend :)

So they arrested 12 of their own people under the guise of being anonymous hackers? Think about that for a minute,dude!
I AM educated. You should be by now also. :wink:

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.