Job seekers getting asked for Facebook passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
SEATTLE - When Justin Bassett interviewed for a new job, he expected the usual questions about experience and references. So he was astonished when the interviewer asked for something else: his Facebook username and password.

Bassett, a New York City statistician, had just finished answering a few character questions when the interviewer turned to her computer to search for his Facebook page. But she couldn't see his private profile. She turned back and asked him to hand over his login information. [more]
I would tell them where to stick it!!!! (If i was stupid enough to have a FB account that is!)

www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/news...bseekersgettingaskedforfacebookpasswords.html

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
:roll:If true that's absurd, but on a more important note I would sure love to hear why I've been classified by your expert opinion as "stupid" because I happen to have a Facebook account as a means to keep in touch with family and friends, as well as provide some Scan New England related website content to subscribers. I'm pretty sure there are others here as well that may question your opinion. I'm also relatively certain that many of us have taken the precautions that we can to secure our Facebook accounts as much as possible...despite our alleged idiocy... :roll:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
:roll:If true that's absurd, but on a more important note I would sure love to hear why I've been classified by your expert opinion as "stupid" because I happen to have a Facebook account as a means to keep in touch with family and friends, as well as provide some Scan New England related website content to subscribers. I'm pretty sure there are others here as well that may question your opinion. I'm also relatively certain that many of us have taken the precautions that we can to secure our Facebook accounts as much as possible...despite our alleged idiocy... :roll:

Don't be too sure! Even the CEO of Facebook was hacked:
Mark Zuckerberg's Facebook page hacked

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg's fan page was hacked - Jan. 26, 2011

KC1UA

Database Admin
My point is you can't secure your Facebook account.

And you've just confirmed that you're missing my point. Again. I completely understand that. If you read my post you should be able to understand that. If my Facebook account is hacked, so be it. I'll likely stop using it at that point. Given what is available to me as an end user of the product I have likely secured it as best I can. Make sense?

Again....my point is, I want to know why I (and millions of others) am stupid because I choose to have a Facebook account.

(If i was stupid enough to have a FB account that is!)

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
And you've just confirmed that you're missing my point. Again. I completely understand that. If you read my post you should be able to understand that. If my Facebook account is hacked, so be it. I'll likely stop using it at that point. Given what is available to me as an end user of the product I have likely secured it as best I can. Make sense?

Again....my point is, I want to know why I (and millions of others) am stupid because I choose to have a Facebook account.

I'm not implying you, or other Facebook subscribers are stupid. I understand what you are saying, and the point you are trying to make.

Just be aware of this. Your account most likely has already been compromised. They all are on a regular basis. You will not know it when it happens. If you feel you must continued to use Facebook, you need to give serious consideration as to what you put on it, and understand that everything is accessible, nothing is protected, regardless of the settings you choose in your profile.

KC1UA

Database Admin
I didn't say that you were, and I completely understand where you're coming from; I'm familiar with the goings on of Facebook. I've seen careers ruined over it.

The original poster's aforementioned comment is the reason I'm in this thread. He apparently has a blanket opinion that all users of Facebook are stupid, yet as of yet he offers no insight into why he made such a remark. As a careful user of the internet in general and a person that understands its dark sides reasonably well I am asking him why.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I've resisted creating a Facebook account myself. However I have to admit, I'm missing out on some things. More and more businesses are using Facebook, not only to advertise, but they also offer important information, promotional offers, discounts, etc, that are not available through other means.

com501

What's Facebook?

Seriously. Anyone interested in keeping their lives private puts as little as possible on the Internet.

No Facebook.
No Twitter.
No business link websites.
No home pages with your domain name.

No social media sites at all, if you are smart.

Heck, I don't even use any Google services anymore, either. And that covers a LOT of territory. I don't need someone selling my search results, tagged to my YouTube watching, tagged to my emails, tagged to anything else.

The point of the thread is NO, its not a potential employers business to see whom you know, what you post or anything else that isn't available publically.

Of course, you should NEVER link friends, or post anything online you wouldn't be OK with elsewhere.

Even these forums are monitored by the Secret Service and other TLA's.

KC1UA

Database Admin
When simple common sense prevails, and one acts above board in his or her actions, none of the above should be overly worrisome....provided that the venues mentioned are used with that same common sense.

Your mileage may vary... :lol: :roll:

com501

This is the age old argument, 'why do I need to refuse a warrantless search? I have nothing to hide'.

The point is, you have everything to hide, as its no ones business and the employer has no business being nosy. It IS a warrantless search.

KC1UA

Database Admin
You're missing my point. While I do have nothing to hide, I agree with what you're saying. However, I don't curl up in the fetal position, thumb in mouth, and obsess with it (either before or after applying the recommended density of tin foil). This is the world we live in. I'm not about to let it stop me from enjoying myself. It's one thing to be prudent. It's quite another to be paranoid.

My question for the OP remains, which was the point of my reply to his post. Why am I stupid because I choose to have a Facebook account?

com501

I'm not missing your point.

This now belongs in the POLITICAL forum, as we have digressed into a discussion of liberal values vs. conservative values.

What you see as 'business as usual', conservatives and those with a sharper sense of what qualifies as prudent see it differently.

What you might consider 'tinfoil hat-itis', some of us see as common sense, every day things we think about.

Its the same way I feel about a concealed carry handgun. I might never need it, but better to have it when my life might be in danger rather than having the coroner write my obituary.

Prudence is not the same as paranoia.

com501

My question for the OP remains, which was the point of my reply to his post. Why am I stupid because I choose to have a Facebook account?

Perhaps the OP had a bad choice of words. Perhaps in his paradigm, people that would do that ARE stupid? I'm thinking it indeed, would be a 'stupid' thing to do, but intelligent people do stupid things all the time, so the inference that stupid decisions imply a lower IQ or lack of experiential behavior simply doesn't apply.

If I were the OP, I would ignore your request, since it brings nothing to the discussion. I feel that I have digressed far enough from the original topic, so this is my last post on this matter. Feel free to post or move this discussion to the political or rant forums.

KC1UA

Database Admin
You're way off. If you take a look at my history here (yes, MY GOD IT'S VISIBLE, what shall I do...) you'll find that I'm a rather staunch conservative.

I'm not going to waste my time with you any further. The OP can reply...or not. Go hide under your bridge, and don't tell me where I can and can't post. See ya.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
HEY! WAIT! I thought I was the only person in the universe without a Facebook Account!

Nope,me too. Fakebook is a worthless waste of bandwidth and time!! :evil:

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.