JOCO P25 System Not Working with 396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeuser

The Wretched
mfairleigh;22****4 said:
I'm glad to find this thread. My 436HP fell silent at the same time and I've been beating my head against the wall trying to figure it out.

Since my programming is fed from RR via Sentinel, I too would be interested in getting the RR DB updated ASAP! I don't know what the process is to get that done.

I've also been curious about what P25 threshold value people have had the best results with for this system, if you've played with that.

Thanks for any help.

I listen to the KSICS out in rural north central Kansas & default works for me.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
For those with a HomePatrol-1, BCD436HP, or BCD536HP, I've triggered a special pull tonight so that the databases should reflect these changes tomorrow.

KC0KBC

Premium Subscriber
I live in Merriam not far from you... on another topic. What antenna do you use? My neighborhood is very wooded, and the out of box antenna on the 396XT rarely picks anything up where I live.

FWIW... I'm in Olathe and just started using a Diamond RH-77CA. It's noticeably better than the stock duck that comes with the 436HP, but I don't know if it would help much if your stock antenna isn't hearing anything. It's also significantly longer than the stock duck, which some might find inconvenient.

Thank you HH and Paul!

Last edited:

bhollingsworth

Premium Subscriber
FWIW... I'm in Olathe and just started using a Diamond RH-77CA. It's noticeably better than the stock duck that comes with the 436HP, but I don't know if it would help much if your stock antenna isn't hearing anything. It's also significantly longer than the stock duck, which some might find inconvenient.

Thank you HH and Paul!

I feel like I'm good with the stock 396XT mobile antenna, as I have no issues while commuting throughout JOCO. My problem is at my house in Merriam. Since the tower is transmitting in Olathe, and I'm down in a lower area I struggle to pick anything up. I'm looking for a base antenna or something outdoors that I could pickup the 700 - 800 MHz range. I'm assuming that most 800MHz antenna's will not help me now that the new control frequency is in the 700's.

Edit: So I looked and see the Primary tower is out of Olathe but there are several others in my area identified as secondary towers. Specifically at 4800 Nall being the closest to me or potentially 5850 Renner. Any use in pointing a YAGI at one of those sites? Or would something like this (http://www.rfwiz.com/Comtelco/ComtelcoBase2.htm) be ok?

Last edited:

KC0KBC

Premium Subscriber
I would think that 800/900MHz version would be very nice if the MARRS system is your primary interest. If you plan to monitor lower-frequency services, particularly things like civil aviation, that antenna is getting pretty far out of range (though I doubt it would be completely deaf).

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Having the same problem with Home Patrol makes me wonder if they have totally encrypted the system now?

The system is not completely encrypted. Most of the stuff you're used to monitoring is still available (except the fire tactical channels). I'm not sure how Home Patrol works, but you might need to update your database as the system control channels have changed. UPMan posted this on July 31st:

UPMan said:
For those with a HomePatrol-1, BCD436HP, or BCD536HP, I've triggered a special pull tonight so that the databases should reflect these changes tomorrow.

Hope this helps...

KcTracker

The system is not completely encrypted. Most of the stuff you're used to monitoring is still available (except the fire tactical channels). I'm not sure how Home Patrol works, but you might need to update your database as the system control channels have changed. UPMan posted this on July 31st:

Hope this helps...

Yeah Im understanding all this better Not as simple as it was back in the regency M-100 era hahaha as for the encrypted im sure that day is coming to have all ps channels done. And i wish i would have waited for the new hp scanner to come out

Thanks for the reply

Status
Not open for further replies.