Aero Johannesburg Oceanic

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimlawrence

At around 1744Z today, I heard Qantas 64, Johannesburg to Sydney, calling Johannesburg Oceanic first on 13315, then establishing contact on 11291. Happy listening!

majoco

Stirrer
Very nice - we would be even more amazed if we knew where you are and what was your local time, 1744z puts Q64 in darkness but the US is in broad daylight. I've been on that flight, it's very interesting that the Great Circle route from SYD goes over Melbourne and Tasmania and right down to 60 degs South, almost to the ice.

jimlawrence

I'm in South Africa. Local time was 1944 when I heard them so it was dark here. My intent was to pass along those frequencies in case they were new to anyone. I don't see them listed for the southern Indian Ocean on most sites. Up until a couple of months ago, I've heard that flight working Jo'burg on 3476 and 5565. Lately, however, they appear to be working this pair more frequently.

majoco

Stirrer
You'll notice those two frequencies, 13315 and 11291 kHz are in the SAT2 MWARA (MWARA HF Frequencies) which is really strange as Jo'burg is nowhere near the SAT2 area but it does come down to Recife - propagation is really unpredictable when you get down into the southern latitudes. I guess that the Jo'burg operators who cover that flight probably every day are well aware of what works best. I remember back in the 60's as a Radio Officer on the Safmarco "Allamanda" going from PE to Adelaide - one evening there was absolutely nothing except noise on any frequency but Aurora Australis was going mad - the next night was just like a whispering gallery - bands were full of signals and echoes.

brandon

Database Admin
Thanks for the report. The last time I heard them from California on 13315 was in 2015.

I have also logged Johannesburg Oceanic on 5565, 6535 and 8861 from my location.

jimlawrence

Thanks for the report. The last time I heard them from California on 13315 was in 2015.

I have also logged Johannesburg Oceanic on 5565, 6535 and 8861 from my location.

Thanks for the addition of 8861, brandon. I'll add that to my list of known freqs. for Johannesburg Oceanic. So we've got six frequencies now for Johannesburg Oceanic.

Yes, majoco, I noticed those two were listed as part of SAT-2. Interesting to see them in use over the southern Indian Ocean.

My next personal goal for logging is to hear the flights from Johannesburg to Sao Paulo and St. Helena over the southern Atlantic on HF. Who knows? Those flights may pop up on the same frequencies??????

Status
Not open for further replies.