Johnson Co conv. frequencies no longer used

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0KBC

Premium Subscriber
Now that the cities of Shawnee, Lenexa, Olathe (and I'm sure others) have moved entirely to MARRS (or, that's my understanding), at what point will all those conventional frequency entries be removed from the database?

This might be a more general question about how & when these types of updates get made - not just for these particular cities.

shadcall

In some places the old frequencies are used as backups in the event the new system has problems. While this may or may not happen in your location it may be a while for the old frequencies to be marked deprecated which indicates they are no longer in use. I am not sure they are actually deleted.

KC0KBC

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Shadcall. Maybe my question is, who makes the call to mark them deprecated (who has that authority and what is the process of getting it done)? Is there a verification process involved?

shadcall

I am guessing that is done by the database administrators. I am unsure of the exact process. About everything you find in the database comes from listeners who have verified that the various frequencies are in use. Information about a frequency no longer in use may also come from listeners. That information might also come from the FCC database which indicates if a particular license has expired. But there are times when a license expires and the city, town, county or whoever continues to use that frequency. All of that being said there are frequencies licensed to someone that are not active. I know in my area I have several frequencies that I have not heard anything on them in ages. But at times a frequency like that might suddenly come to life one day. So perhaps it is better to err on the side of caution which is probably why frequencies are marked deprecated rather than deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.