Johnson Co SO NXDN naming

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Per convo overheard in the incident tonight involving a car chase and then search for suspects.. They referred to the NXDN as TAC 1. The SAFE-T ones used as TAC's (10813 thru 10816) are still called EVENT 1 thru EVENT 8, used for tactical operations for all County LEA's. 108119 thru 10823 are OPS 11 thru OPS 15 and are for localized special operations, including investigations, special event operations, etc. There used to be a third Car to Car TG, but it apparently was repurposed into one of the OPS TG's. CH Numbering is 1-3 County, Central, and North Controls, 4 is County HQ/Info, then Events 5 thru 8, Car to Cars 9 and 10, OPS 11 thru 15, 16 is the Jail, 17 is Bailiffs/Court Security, 18 is Animal Control, and then there used to also be a couple of Task Force TG's that were encrypted. (RDTF (Regional Drug Task Force) was one of them, can't recall what the other was. (Possibly JoCo's version of a countywide CID?)

Last edited by a moderator:

cubn

Database Admin
During Freedom Fest Greenwood referred to TG10821 as "Greenwood Tac". Sounded like most officers weren't familiar with it as they told the officers to find it in the zone with all the fire training TGs. Both fire and PD have access to that TG.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, seems like some of the same issues with MESA and any of the new changes to line ups on SAFE-T. Get a new name, or make a slight repurpose and half of the users are lost for a while. That and the two most hated things: Old guys that will not use new terminology, and interop killer non sharing (make change, don't let everyone that should have access have it any longer) Like with MESA, when it was MECA, then IDPS, but old guys called it MECA.. Now its MESA.... But still same folks doing same things. And if a TG or CH is NOT in your primary zone, then most of the time you never use it, so it falls through the cracks in ya grey matter. (Another reason I LOVE voice announce on the radios so you have NO excuses for NOT finding a CH or TG. If its in the radio, you will find it.)

Mattnik

Database Admin
TAC-1 and TAC-2 go back to at least the mid-90's, long before I started working at Johnson County. Even if the "official" designation is changed, I suspect most of the old timers will continue to use the TAC-1 and TAC-2 nomenclature.

Matt

Mattnik

Database Admin
There used to be a local nutball named Marge S. She was mostly harmless, very smart, and absolutely "round the bend".

She used to call in and rant about one thing or another, and Tony used to let her ID on the TAC-1 repeater at the top of the hour.

The minutes would tick slower and slower to o'dark-thirty, and all of the sudden Marge would fill the airwaves "KSA914 SHERIFF JOHNSON COUNTY!!!!"

We would of course never get away with that now. Teeth would be knashed. Hair would be pulled, and dogs and cats would lie in the same bed. There would be mass hysteria and guardian entries and suspensions handed out wholesale.

And you know what? The public safety world is a much worse place because of it. No one will ever convince me otherwise.

I can't wait to retire :devilish:

Matt