Johnson County on FWRRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Just curious how far north anyone has heard Johnson County, I used to be able to hear them at work when I worked down there but left that job and now can no longer hear them up here in NE Tarrant (just south of Hurst). I don't even pick them up with my attic discone. It may be partially because I live down in a lower lying area, as I have issues picking up Irving and Grand Prairie (wondering if I am along on this as well).

Just to clarify, Johnson County and Burleson are only on the Johnson County sites of the FWRRS, correct and not simulcast on any other sites?

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Sometimes I can hear them at work on Harwood, in Hurst. Typically, their talkgroups will not be on the FW Layers. There may be some circumstances when they might, but not routinely, that I've heard.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Just curious how far north anyone has heard Johnson County, I used to be able to hear them at work when I worked down there but left that job and now can no longer hear them up here in NE Tarrant (just south of Hurst). I don't even pick them up with my attic discone. It may be partially because I live down in a lower lying area, as I have issues picking up Irving and Grand Prairie (wondering if I am along on this as well).

Just to clarify, Johnson County and Burleson are only on the Johnson County sites of the FWRRS, correct and not simulcast on any other sites?
Depending on exactly where a Burleson unit might be, since they straddle the county line between Tarrant & Johnson Counties, I suspect that occasionally they'd pop up on one of the Tarrant layers (sites 1 & 2), but their home layer is Johnson County.

I can't hear the Johnson County units at home, as it is behind my horizon (the terrain gets higher from my location, then drops off the other side of Cedar Hill & Midlothian).

Grand Prairie, though relatively close to my home, is also pretty much out of range. Besides the fact that they also are below my sight line, when they upgraded their system to focus the signals more on their jurisdictional area, as well as moved the antennas down lower on the towers. I believe Irving may have done something similar. Though I can still hear them, their signal is not nearly as strong as it was on the old EDACS system.

Status
Not open for further replies.