Johnson County P25 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadSpleen85

Switch has not happened at this point. Leawood Fire appears to be working a training exercise on their Digital Talkgroup 31210. Had heavy fire then a brief May Day activation.

KAA951

Premium Subscriber
It will be interesting to see how JOCO does station tone-outs once the new system comes online. Will each fire station have it's own separate talkgroup, or will everything be dispatched from a single one? I think KCK does it both ways, so perhaps Johnson County will do something similar?

My understanding is that they will be using the Locution system over the radio for station alerting but still support the VHF paging (for now). Apparently, at some point in the near future, they will migrate away from tone and voice completely going to alpha-numeric pagers controlled by the computer aided dispatch system. The dispatcher will put in the address and type of call, the computer will suggest a response from available unit, the dispatcher can amend or approve the responding units and the computer system will take over alerting units from there. Sounds good in theory- will be interesting to see it function in the real world.

Arff2

Premium Subscriber
I heard that the switch date for Fire and EMS would be June 22nd.

MadSpleen85

Quite a bit of testing happening this afternoon. Have seen Leawood FD, Overland Park FD, Lenexa FD and JoCo EM talkgroups all testing in the past hour.

trumpetboy50

Premium Subscriber
Looks like I need to start monitoring this system! Last time I listened to it, about 2 months ago, there wasn't a single thing happening. It'll be interesting to see everything go live.

--Andrew from Overland Park

Trig

Start listening this afternoon! And tomorrow morning.... you should hear more than just testing after tomorrow morning!!

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
30101, 30102, 30823, 30852 all quite active as of 1:30 this afternoon.

MadSpleen85

Lots of testing all afternoon. Heard a few MedAct units attempt to clear a call with dispatch on 30101, obviously they received no response.

Trig, what time tomorrow is the switch over?

MadSpleen85

Nevermind my earlier question Trig. Talked to a different source and have new information..

Tuesday June 22nd at about 07:30 ECC will do a role call of all Fire and EMS units and at 08:00 will switch all Fire and EMS operations over to the new 700mhz system.

Police agencies will start switching in late July.

ksduster

Weather enthusiast
Feed Provider
My understanding is that they will be using the Locution system over the radio for station alerting but still support the VHF paging (for now). Apparently, at some point in the near future, they will migrate away from tone and voice completely going to alpha-numeric pagers controlled by the computer aided dispatch system. The dispatcher will put in the address and type of call, the computer will suggest a response from available unit, the dispatcher can amend or approve the responding units and the computer system will take over alerting units from there. Sounds good in theory- will be interesting to see it function in the real world.

Thats what our software does in sedgwick county.. We have GPS tracking in almost every unit.. and we get 2 suggestions.. Static, and AVRR
AVRR is only used for fire, and EMS units, as it takes the closest unit from GPS, or post location, and plots an estimated drive time, and well, we have to approve it, or send a different unit.
Once we dispatch the unit, if its a fire, or ems unit.. the units pager goes off with the call type, address, and brief information of the call from the first supplement (if any)
--fire stations, the Cad system sets off the Zetron lights/horns for the units current station (assigned in cad)

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Seems like the Fire & EMS switchover is going OK so far, however, I noticed that the audio quality was a bit iffy this afternoon in the Downtown Olathe area. Appears they are still using 154.250 for station alerts.

MadSpleen85

Seems like the Fire & EMS switchover is going OK so far, however, I noticed that the audio quality was a bit iffy this afternoon in the Downtown Olathe area. Appears they are still using 154.250 for station alerts.

Sounds the same up north in Shawnee. Audio seems to fade in and out. Voice is not as clear as the analog system was, in my opinion. On this system the voices seem to sound similar to each other, harder to tell the dispatchers from the units out in the field. Going to take some getting used to.

Does seem to have been some minor but noticeable improvement since the roll call and initial switch over this morning, in audio quality.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Sounds the same up north in Shawnee. Audio seems to fade in and out. Voice is not as clear as the analog system was, in my opinion. On this system the voices seem to sound similar to each other, harder to tell the dispatchers from the units out in the field. Going to take some getting used to.

Does seem to have been some minor but noticeable improvement since the roll call and initial switch over this morning, in audio quality.

Yep, digital is a whole different animal compared to what we're used to hearing. Those audio cutouts were really bad on the fire groups, not so much on the JOCO transit ones. Being that it's a new system, it may be a bit before the techs can get things ironed out.

scrEEmin

JoCo P25 System

I finally got my scanner and it sounds awesome! The clarity is amazing.

trumpetboy50

Premium Subscriber
It must just be me, but I haven't heard anything on the new system. I've had it on almost all of today, and still haven't heard anything.

SKINNY1

This new Johnson County P25 700 MHz system doesn’t work nearly as well as the old system. I monitor it over here in Lawrence and most of the time the signals are nothing more than a bunch of garble. Very seldom can you understand what they are saying as the signal is to weak. Hope that this doesn’t endanger our Police Officers and Fireman over there!

Skinny

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
This new Johnson County P25 700 MHz system doesn’t work nearly as well as the old system. I monitor it over here in Lawrence and most of the time the signals are nothing more than a bunch of garble. Very seldom can you understand what they are saying as the signal is to weak. Hope that this doesn’t endanger our Police Officers and Fireman over there!

Skinny

Reception on the responder radios is typically much better than what we pick up on our scanners, simply because they're using "commercial" grade equipment. Antennas and the internal components of their radios are much better. I would think the Police & Fire units are probably safe.

Simulcast P25 systems (such as JOCO) tend to cause big headaches for scanner listeners because you pretty much have to be in the immediate area in order to pick up intelligible traffic.

Been monitoring JOCO P-25 most of the morning and Ive noticed that FD Dispatch has been dispatching on the ECC Emergency Mgmt. TG's 30101 and 30102. Does anyone know if this is the permanent TG's for Fire Dispatch?

Status
Not open for further replies.