Johnson County SkyWarn

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadSpleen85

While programming my Pro-106 and looking through the RadioReference Database, I noticed I had a few frequencies that were not part of the database. Only had two that I know what they are, their call-sign and usage. I had Johnson County's K0ECS which is the County's severe weather spotters during severe weather. Frequency also serves as a talk around for the Ham's when the weather is good and every monday night at 7pm is a net meeting. During severe weather (Tornado Watch/Warnings mostly) when the spotters are out assigned to a post they refer to their assigned post by a Letter (A, B, C or D) and a number (1-7). For example B1 is at Johnson Drive and I-435 in Shawnee. Last spring I found their website which has a map of all the spotter locations that they use. Johnson County Emergency Communications Service, Inc - Spotter Locations.

The other that I submitted is the KC Metro-wide SkyWarn system KC0SKY. I do not know as much about it but it seems that one member from each of the county spotter systems reports to the Metro-wide system to keep the entire area posted as to where the severe weather actually is, as seen by trained eyes.

byndhlptom

Jonson Co "SkyWarn"

The K0ECS system is pretty mush as you described, a Ham repeater that is used by the JoCo ECS grpoup (Ham) as the primary frequency for the JoCo KS spotter nerwork

SkyWarn is the regional equivalent of the JoCo ECS system. It is used as a link from the individual counties/agencies to the National Weather Service station in Pleasanthill via ham radio. It uses KCARC Kansas City Amatuer Radio Club) repeaters during severe weather by prior written agreement. It is licensed as it's own entity, but to the best of my knowledge, it does not operate it's own repeaters. I think there is a link to the Skywarn group on the JoCo ECS page.

tom

MadSpleen85

Thanks for the info Tom. Like I said I have only been listening to storm spotters with the scanners since last spring so I am still learning as they are not actively out nearly as much as everything else that I monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.