Johnston County - Any Analog Talkgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

JH2184

Johnston County

Isn't it about time for Johnston County to lose the Provoice and go to a motorola system? Why do we have to be the only county that has Provoice? Why not the APCO-25 like the viper in wake county. I mean atleast I can hear a little bit but why not hear everything. Its bad when you have two digital scanners like me and can only hear the wake county digital stuff. Does anyone know of any rumors of a new system or if they might switch everything to the viper system? i know there probably never will be a provoice scanner but I can still have hope.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
No they are not switching....I doubt they will anytime in the near future...I agree it is a pain to monitor the ProVoice setup they have but apparently it works for them so don't look for them to make any changes....they do have a mutual aid talkgroup on the State of NC/Wake County VIPER system but expect it to be used rarely and only during major mutual aid situations....
Marshall KE4ZNR

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Can anyone in the Johnston County area identify which talkgroups are analog and which are digital???

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Threads merged to keep things simple...I know there is at least a few analog talkgroups including a Fire or EMS dispatch talkgroup that is still "in the clear"...I will try to update the database with what is ProVoice and what is analog....

khubbard

My dad lives in clayton and does alot of radio work for different fire and rescue depts in Johnston co. I'll call him Thursday and find out which are anolog and provoice. They are not going to swith system. They like no one knowing what is happening. He told me one time that the news stations wanted a radio so they would know what was going on and the county said no. Then they asked if they bought there own would the county program it and they said no. there is only two people who can program the radios and that is 911 and my dad.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
khubbard said:
My dad lives in clayton and does alot of radio work for different fire and rescue depts in Johnston co. I'll call him Thursday and find out which are anolog and provoice. They are not going to swith system. They like no one knowing what is happening. He told me one time that the news stations wanted a radio so they would know what was going on and the county said no. Then they asked if they bought there own would the county program it and they said no. there is only two people who can program the radios and that is 911 and my dad.

khubbard-
Please PM me with what you find out...I want to make sure it matches other info I have...also I think the county is way WRONG with not allowing the media to have a radio...I agree with some sensitve channels being unmonitorable (ie: drugs/vice etc) but regular day to day comms should be able to be monitored one way or another...Johnston County REALLY needs to learn from Wake County in this one area....Wake County puts out a guide to monitoring the Wake County system...Johnston County hides like cowards in ProVoice...BTW: I know at least one local media photographer who has a radio programmed for HIM by the County that can monitor Most of Johnston Counties ProVoice Talkgroups....so someone in the County does not agree with what you have posted above...but I ain't gonna mention any names :cool:
73's
Marshall KE4ZNR

khubbard

this was last year when they said they would not do it. I'll let you know what I find out

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for any info you can provide and please realize my beef is not with you or anyone related to you but to the simple minded higher-ups that think they can hide in ProVoice forever from the taxpayers that pay their saleries...

JH2184

provoice

I think switching to provoice is the dumbest thing the county ever did. There is no harm in listening to fire and EMS. That should all be analog. I dont agree with it but I can understand more about law enforcement being digital but when It comes to Fire and EMS it should be where you can hear it all. I miss the old days when I can hear everything. Even the old 155.340 channel is rarely used. I dont understand why Johnston County is this way. You would think a rural county would let you hear everything. Sampson, wayne..wilson let you. Harnett is on a EDACS system but its analog. Atleast these counties have sense. Wake County is great being able to hear them too..atleast their digital system is monitorable. Its pathetic you can go to LA and hear LAPD with their APCO-25 or go to NY to hear NYPD..those are monitorable but I can't even listen to my Sheriffs Dept in Johnston County. Most people in this county don't have scanners like we do..if they do..they dont know how to program them..even the people at RadioShack don't know how to program them either.

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
It's too bad that Johnston County is this way, it sucks for the firefighters & paramedics. How do they monitor when they are off duty? Can they at all? I guess Johnston county thinks they are as important as the feds, lol.

bluesteel

I understand what the "higher-ups" are thinking, but I think if it's well thought out, having folks listening to what's going on is positive. I've been in law enforcement for 10 years, and have solved several major crimes thanks to "scanner nuts". Of course, I'm one too!

Status
Not open for further replies.