Johnston County NC, Digital Stuff/Harnett Co

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerpro

I live in Johnston County. I'am still trying to learn does the Johnston County on the Digital Part on 800Mhz can you listen to that with any kind of Uniden scanner or none of the scanner can't read it at all and it makes all of that Digital Noise or whatever you want to call it. If anyone can help that would be good.

By the way is Harnett County the same with this as well? Or can you listen to their system?

Thanks for your help,
n1ck

Nick In Four Oaks, NC

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
n1ck said:
I live in Johnston County. I'am still trying to learn does the Johnston County on the Digital Part on 800Mhz can you listen to that with any kind of Uniden scanner or none of the scanner can't read it at all and it makes all of that Digital Noise or whatever you want to call it. If anyone can help that would be good.

By the way is Harnett County the same with this as well? Or can you listen to their system?

Thanks for your help,
n1ck

Nick In Four Oaks, NC

Nick-

Johnston County is a no....Most of the Talkgroups on the Johnston County EDACS system operate in Provoice mode which is not able to be monitored by scanners on the market today....you should still be able to hear Fire/EMS dispatch but most other talkgroups on the system (sheriff, Ops Talkgroups, etc) are Provoice which means No monitoring....
Harnett Counties EDACS system on the other hand should still be analog and as long as you have the System frequencies in LCN order you should be able to monitor the system....
Hope this helps!
Marshall KE4ZNR

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
What really blows my mind is why a county would use a system that is not compatable with the other agencies that surround them.

It seems like Johnston County being near Raleigh/Wake Co would like to have the means of communications with Wake Co. sheriff officers on assists and other events. The same holds true for Harnett Co. since they border Fayetteville/Cumberland Co.

This my opinion, but I think that all public safety sould be on the same communications vendor. I thought that was what the Viper System is to accomplish, but it will not work if other counties and cities are not willing to change vendors. I mean there are only three agencies that use GE Provoice.

I will admit that I am partial to Motorola, because that is what we use where I live and work. I had the opportunity to talk with a Smithfield Police Officer one time that transfered from Durham Police, and I asked him how he liked the GE System he told me that it was totally different and didn't have all the capabilities and features like the Motorola System had.

Just a thought

David
KI4GBJ

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I understand what you are saying David but a couple things need to be said:
1) although we throw the term VIPER around in reference to the Wake County part of the system do understand there is interoperability between Wake County and Johnston County just like there is interoperability between Harnett County and Wake County...it is accomplished by using ACU 1000's to patch Comms between Wake->Johnston and Wake->Harnett....the following Talkgroups are used:
wakecojcchcc.jpg

Is it perfect? Nope...but patching is used more than you know on the Wake County system...
2) Just remember that money is the main issue when these systems are setup in the first place...I admit I am as much of a Moto fanboy as you will find around these parts but years ago when Johnston Co setup their system Wake County being on 800Mhz was not ever a serious consideration...Johnston County went with the vendor that gave them the best deal...I am sure there are parts of the system the county does not like (no system is perfect) but apparently it has served them well over the last few years because they have stuck by it....
I guess overall what I am saying is VIPER does not equal Motorola....you can have an EDACS or LTR system or 2 tin cans and a string and as long as you have an interoperability plan through whatever means (ACU 1000's etc) you can be a part of VIPER...hopefully my rambling has made sense here :)
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
That is about the best explanation I've seen regarding interoperability Marshall...ramble on anytime. From an occasional traveler through Johnson, Harnett, Wake and now and then, near the town of Garner.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Marshall,

Thanks for the reply. It cleared it up that the comm centers can communicate with each other.

I was just thinking in terms of a chase or stake out. If you have ever worked in a comm center and a chase starts, the communicators don't really have the time to sit and worry about trying to patch frequencies together and keep track of who is doing what.

I know the area were I live. The county I live in is 800 Mhz law enforcement and the counties to the south and east are still on UHF and when a chase starts the comm centers are usually talking on the phone trying to relay information and answer the radios at the same time.

I know that all law enforcement in my county have stopped using UHF frequencies all together, and they don't even own the equipment anymore.

I my opinion, there should be some sort of mandate that all law enforcement agencies keep at least a single channel UHF radio set on 453.700 Mhz for the purpose of communications with other law enforcement agencies statewide. Use this frequency till all areas switch to 800 Mhz then they could use the 800 Mhz national public safety channels.

Just my comments

Thanks

David
KI4GBJ

scannerpro

KE4ZNR,

I did not catch the name but you meet me on one of the local ham radio freqs just hear me KI4QHM I'am usallly found on the 147.270 JARS repeater just give me a call their.

Status
Not open for further replies.