Johnstown (Cambria County) Police Helicopter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPenguin

Anyone remember that helicopter that Johnstown Police used during their "sweep", where I believe the chief basically said, "We used it to show that we had it."

Was this actually a Johnstown PD owned Heli? If not, who does own it? Also, what is it's unit number or if it's own by another agency like State Police where there are more than one, what are their numbers?

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
I can't imagine any local law enforcement in your neck of the woods justifying owning/operating a helo. I would imagine the helo was PSP or PAARNG and was assisting Johnstown PD by request or as part of a task force operation.

PAARNG helos have been used here before by the county detectives for large scale drug operations. PAARNG simply provides an airborne platform from which local law enforcement can conduct surveillance and monitoring. These helos are also used for marijuana plant eradication across the state. They carry a LEO on board who directs ground units to the plants for removal from fields.

RedPenguin

I can't imagine any local law enforcement in your neck of the woods justifying owning/operating a helo. I would imagine the helo was PSP or PAARNG and was assisting Johnstown PD by request or as part of a task force operation.

You are most likely right, and that's what I figured.

Anyway, I just remember, this plane had one hell of a "spotlight". When I and family saw it, we actually thought they were looking for an escaped prisoner or something. I have never seen the plane again, at least not with it's "spotlight" on. I guess it could have flown again without the light.

Edit: Also, speaking of Johnstown Police, when an officer says something like I just heard 653 say, "I'm going to be in the ninth", which I thought he said on 9th, which is a street in 653's area, but no, he definatly said "in". Is this some kind of zone? If so, I believe there are only 6 zones.

Also, I assume "West" is the Repair Shop/Gas Shop ("Going 'West' for fuel") and East = HQ/Public Safety Building (Unit to another Unit, "Are you East?")? Also, are parts of Johnstown called "Boros"? I heard every now and then units talking to each other saying like, "Moxham Boro", and "I'm clear from the boro". (And no, I'm sure I'm hearing Metro (6xx) units).

Last edited:

ctrabs74

Also, I assume "West" is the Repair Shop/Gas Shop ("Going 'West' for fuel") and East = HQ/Public Safety Building (Unit to another Unit, "Are you East?")? Also, are parts of Johnstown called "Boros"? I heard every now and then units talking to each other saying like, "Moxham Boro", and "I'm clear from the boro". (And no, I'm sure I'm hearing Metro (6xx) units).

The Johnstown units may be referring to Lorain Borough, where they have a contract to provide police services (as well as in Middle Taylor and West Taylor Townships). Moxham is a neighborhood of the City of Johnstown (as to why they referred to it as a "borough" is beyond me).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnstown,_Pennsylvania

RedPenguin

Correct

Moxham is a neighborhood of the City of Johnstown (as to why they referred to it as a "borough" is beyond me).

Yes, exactly. I know about Moxham, but once or twice I heard it called a boro. I heard it used to be Moxham Boro before the City "got it".

Status
Not open for further replies.