Joint Base Air Show/Open House

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2xq

Mentor
The Thunderbirds didn't approach the airfield via the usual glideslope, so I didn't see them. The only frequency for their show was 141,075 AM, heard from the start about 3:15p. Last transmission was around 3:50p. No other Thunderbird frequencies heard. I was listening on the VX6 ht, and scanning the entire group of frequencies with the -106. Judging from the strong signal levels I would guess flight levels were at a minimum 2k feet. Those flyboys and -girls are quite some characters on the radio.

Tech792

Me too.....turned away at the gate...no scanners or radios. I tried to argue that it wasn't posted on the web site or on the sign as you enter. No luck. Luckily I wasn't parked too far away. Not the same experience when you can't hear the comms.

carbineone

Premium Subscriber
I was also turned away at the entrance because of my scanners. I complained to public relations that there was no mention of the scanner ban and apparently it was a last minute decision. So I sat front row in my truck in the parking lot with a great view and enjoyed the show with scanners.

Airboss - 127.5 discrete 119.05
Thunderbirds 141.075 diamond formation 235.250 Solos
MAGTF Demo air to air 283.000
Was unable to get the drop zone frequency.

Sybex7254

Ok just got home...great show AND I would have been able to bring a scanner in (burried at the bottom of my wife's purse which they barely looked into) - but better safe then sorry I guess. I didn't see anyone with scanners at all to be honest and without an earpiece, you wouldn't be able to hear it anyway. The B-1 and the Thunderbirds were very loud when they lit their aft-burners.

All in all great way to spend the day, scanner or not. Tomorrow should be another good show for anyone going.

SOSull66

Premium Subscriber
I also got turned away at the gate. Scanners were not on the "Do Not Bring" list posted on their web site.

I left a comment on their web site complaining about their "no scanner" rule.
I suggest everyone do the same in hopes of changing the rules for next time.

Contact Us | JB MDL Open House and Air Show

My wife to over 500 pictures....I attached three samples for your viewing pleasure..

Attachments

• Small Jumpers.jpg
    Small Jumpers.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 444
  • Small Calypso.jpg
    Small Calypso.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 397
  • smallDiamond.jpg
    smallDiamond.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 385

SOSull66

Premium Subscriber
I tried to protest a bit about the no scanner rule. They were saying something about RF interference...I dont think they understand the difference between scanners and transmitters....I can see banning transmitters... still grumpy about it...

When the Thunderbirds came on I grabber my scanner and watched the show just outside the security checkpoint....the security folks who wouldnt let me in enjoyed listening and gathered around to hear....so silly.

w2xq

Mentor
Great pix.

On Saturday, from the area east of Columbus, I saw heavies coming in one after the other, nifty.

I've updated the http://w2xq.com/bm-scan-nj-burlington.html#airshow page to include airshow frequencies I and other contributors heard yesterday. Perhaps this will serve as a one-stop resource for those who come to the county. Contributions welcome.

Today the Burlington County CW EMS 1 and 4 talkgroups have been busy on the JB with medical emergencies.

HTH.

Last edited:

station32

Well i got into the show a different way on sunday and was able to get my scanner in. Good thing because i dont thimk i could of went two days with out listening. :)

robbinsj2

I parked close enough that I was willing to risk having to return it to my car yesterday. I neither hid nor highlighted my scanner, the bag it was in was checked and passed inspection.

I saw/heard at least two other scanners, one on each side of me within close proximity, so I wonder if they relaxed the policy or clarified receivers versus transceivers.

Jim

crimeguy

Premium Subscriber
I don't think they did. I was going through screening in the very beginning and heard 2 officers talking that people had to go back to their car because they had scanners. I agree, if it was packed and didn't draw attention to itself, most got though the screening process.

SOSull66

Premium Subscriber
Here are a few More Pics....

Attachments

• Small All 6.jpg
    Small All 6.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 264
  • SmallSlice.jpg
    SmallSlice.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 269
  • Small Burner.jpg
    Small Burner.jpg