Joliet, IL Area - Digital Required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc4400

I reside in Joliet and I am thinking about purchasing a new scanner. I normally monitor Joliet PD and some other local channels. I checked the database link on this site and most/all of the the frequencies seem to be analog. Just wondering if there is a NEED for me to purchase a digital scanner (frequency changes coming, etc). My budget is more suited toward one of the analog models.

Thanks.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Not yet, but it is spreading...

The new StarCom system is being tested in Plainfield and the various analog Motorola systems will need to be replaced fairly soon. When they are replaced they will almost certainly go with digital. This includes Joliet, Aurora and Naperville.

If you can afford one I would suggest a BC396 or 996 scanner, this will give you the flexibility of scanning analog and digital.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Just to add a note, i live in Joliet and Rich is correct, Dist-5 has a 700 mgz data channel active at this time. Plainfield was active on 700 a few months ago using it and will be returning to it soon. I listened to them in digital mode on 700 with my PRO96 and 2096 but it does NOT trunk 700.....plus you need Don Starr software to open up the RS scanners for 700....Rumor has that Joliet will go DIGITAL in about three years....Starcom also has a 800 digital data channel active in Grundy Co with no use as yet......

Status
Not open for further replies.