Jonesboro FD

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1BCM

I wonder what the deal is on this new system that was posted today on the Craighead County DB.

I heard that the AWIN radios could not be upgraded TO COMPLY WITH SOME NEW FCC RULES coming in a few years and they would have to buy all new radios.

They can upgrade the old 800 mhz. analog radio system to MOTOTRBO DIGITAL SYSTEM at a much reduced cost.COMPARED TO UPGRADING AND BUYING NEW RADIOS FOR THE AWIN SYSTEM.

Last edited:

N1BCM

I heard that the AWIN radios could not be upgraded TO COMPLY WITH SOME NEW FCC RULES coming in a few years and they would have to buy all new radios.

They can upgrade the old 800 mhz. analog radio system to MOTOTRBO DIGITAL SYSTEM at a much reduced cost.COMPARED TO UPGRADING AND BUYING NEW RADIOS FOR THE AWIN SYSTEM.

The police and FD are not planning to move there at this time but some of the non public safety city services are using it.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Mototrbo is not P-25 compliant. Mototrbo is not recommended by ANY APCO officials. Motorbo does NOT have the advanced security features of a P-25 system. The changes you are speaking of to the P-25 infrasturcture to allow TDMA does not mean you have to UPGRADE your radios... This just means that the SYSTEM has to be able to do TDMA digital. BOTH types of digital will be fully supported on Phase II P-25 systems. Therefore you can use FDMA radios on the system for many years to come. This fear tactic being used is misguided, irresponsible, and downright dangerous at worst.

btritch

Almost every morning I hear the JB FD doing radio checks on digitial and their old analog system!
Their old analog system is system 2. It's their backup in the event something should go wrong with AWIN as it did yesterday, They used system 2 for awhile yesterday while dispatch was offline on AWIN due to Fiber Problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.