Joplin MO, anyone in? (not receiving local PD)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinsey6

I just got a BCD436HP and it's receiving everything but my local Joplin PD (which is totally why I bought it, so I could hear them).

The firmware version that my radio now shows is 1.01.01. When I was talking to Uniden Tech Support earlier today, they told me there are two firmware releases, and suggested I try and update mine so everything can be ruled out as to why I'm receiving my local Joplin Fire but not PD (someone on another board says there's only one firmware release for the 436 however). From everything they see there at Uniden, there's no reason I shouldn't be receiving my local PD, yet I'm not. From what they can tell about the local system and the radio capabilities, I should be receiving them. They even said that if this doesn't work that I may have to send it in for a replacement 436. In the meantime, I'll have to wait until Monday before I can talk to them again. Inside the settings, I do have it set to receive the law groups too.

It will scan normally, but when it stops on my local Joplin PD, it'll just stop there for a couple/few seconds but I don't hear any sound, then it will continue scanning...

Anyone have any ideas before I have to send it in for a replacement?
Does anyone else (if you're in the area) have any problem receiving Joplin PD?

kinsey6

They have one encrypted but several other non-encrypted but I never hear anything at all from the PD. Uniden says I should be hearing at least something from them...

steener

Premium Subscriber
I'm receiving the Joplin P25 system on my HomePatrol and 396T this morning, however, the police TG's are encrypted. When the system was first implemented several years ago, encryption was occasionally used, mainly on the Records talkgroup and by the supervisors, but lately they have gone nearly totally encrypted. The Fire and Medical talkgroups are still in the clear.

Regards,
Paul

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I just got a BCD436HP and it's receiving everything but my local Joplin PD (which is totally why I bought it, so I could hear them).

The firmware version that my radio now shows is 1.01.01. When I was talking to Uniden Tech Support earlier today, they told me there are two firmware releases, and suggested I try and update mine so everything can be ruled out as to why I'm receiving my local Joplin Fire but not PD (someone on another board says there's only one firmware release for the 436 however). From everything they see there at Uniden, there's no reason I shouldn't be receiving my local PD, yet I'm not. From what they can tell about the local system and the radio capabilities, I should be receiving them. They even said that if this doesn't work that I may have to send it in for a replacement 436. In the meantime, I'll have to wait until Monday before I can talk to them again. Inside the settings, I do have it set to receive the law groups too.

It will scan normally, but when it stops on my local Joplin PD, it'll just stop there for a couple/few seconds but I don't hear any sound, then it will continue scanning...

Anyone have any ideas before I have to send it in for a replacement?
Does anyone else (if you're in the area) have any problem receiving Joplin PD?

You might also wish to try the Missouri Forum here on RR.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Joplin PD activity is encrypted roughly 85-90 percent of the time. It's been that way for 3-4 years or so. That created a nightmare when we were down there in 2011 dealing with the tornado recovery. You'll occasionally hear officers transmitting in the clear. Dispatch is on "full lockdown" most of the time. Fire and Medical, as someone else mentioned, is in the clear.

frazpo

No JPD but alot from KSICS

If your in Joplin you may have luck with monitoring the KSCIS tower in Cherokee County and the MOSWIN tower in Granby.

The KSICS tower is really busy. You can listen to Labbette County, Cherokee County, KSHP, among other agencies.

You are getting Joplin Fire and EMS aren't you?

kinsey6

Yes I am getting Joplin Fire & EMS. But Police is what I really want to hear though.
I'm more interested in listening to stuff from MO than KS, but how would I tune to the KSICS and MOSWIN tower specifically?

Also do you know if the Highway Patrol or local Sheriffs use repeaters? There's one freq I can get that comes in loud and clear and strong and whenever they're talking about addresses they're often 70-100 miles away, so the signal shouldn't be that strong unless they're using a local repeater I'd think.

whsbuss

Joplin PD activity is encrypted roughly 85-90 percent of the time. It's been that way for 3-4 years or so. That created a nightmare when we were down there in 2011 dealing with the tornado recovery. You'll occasionally hear officers transmitting in the clear. Dispatch is on "full lockdown" most of the time. Fire and Medical, as someone else mentioned, is in the clear.

Hopefully you read this..... any encrypted transmissions will not be heard on the x36 scanners.

kinsey6

No I haven't seen that before. That wasn't what I wanted to see, but thanks very much for posting that. At least I know what's going on now. Was that an except or was there more to it?

Now, next question: Is Springfield locked down like Joplin is?

frazpo

Yes I am getting Joplin Fire & EMS. But Police is what I really want to hear though.
I'm more interested in listening to stuff from MO than KS, but how would I tune to the KSICS and MOSWIN tower specifically?

Also do you know if the Highway Patrol or local Sheriffs use repeaters? There's one freq I can get that comes in loud and clear and strong and whenever they're talking about addresses they're often 70-100 miles away, so the signal shouldn't be that strong unless they're using a local repeater I'd think.

load the ksics system. I forgot the name of the site in Cherokee county.
mshp uses moswin. the closest tower from Joplin is the Granby tower. u should be able to monitor that site from Joplin without any problem. jasper county has just gone to a digital mode that cannot be monitored with any scanners.
I understand not wanting to listen to kansas but do not underestimate the need to have that loaded considering our location. they do an outstanding job during severe weather.

steener

Premium Subscriber
You will probably want to monitor the West Mineral site for KSICS system. I pick up the KS system quite well from Carl Junction; heard quite a bit of activity during the last snow event. The Highway Patrol out of Chanute was quite busy.

Regards,
Paul

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
DB for Joplin

I've driven through Joplin on IH44 & heard nothing on Joplin PD. Why doesn't the RR DB reflect which of the PD channels are mostly encrypted? I see several talk groups where the "E" is present; however, if there are more, don't they need to be added?

Status
Not open for further replies.