• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Jotto Console VS BCT 15?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachSmith

So I've receieved my faceplate for the BCT-15 to install it into my 05 Impala Jotto console (the plate fits, and the scanner fits the plate). However, when I attempt to slide it all in as one, there isn't room because of the screws on the scanner. I'm using the original black "knob" style screws. Is there a special way of getting this to fit into the console, or do I just need to use regular screws?

Just curious so I can do things right. Thanks for the feedback!

(Also, on another note, I used an add a fuse feature to the scanner so that it would power up when I start my car, but the power remains constant. Is there a way to use that add a fuse to install this?)

grantnet10

(Also, on another note, I used an add a fuse feature to the scanner so that it would power up when I start my car, but the power remains constant. Is there a way to use that add a fuse to install this?)

Make sure you plug the add a fuse to a switched output. Sounds like you have it plugged to one that is hot all the time.

a1emt

Premium Subscriber
You will probably need to get some metric machine screws at the hardware store. I needed to do this in my Havis Shields console. I *think* it is an M4 or M5 metric screw.

Jim

ZachSmith

Thanks all! Both issues were solved. I did find other hardware, initially I just couldn't find an existing screw that I owned to do the trick, so I found something more useful at the hardware store. I was running the fuse into one of the radio fuses but I believe it was some secondary thing. When I swapped it to the other radio it worked fine. Thanks for the help!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
So I've receieved my faceplate for the BCT-15 to install it into my 05 Impala Jotto console (the plate fits, and the scanner fits the plate). However, when I attempt to slide it all in as one, there isn't room because of the screws on the scanner.
I have the same problem with a BCD996T and my JottoDesk console.

Take the faceplates on either side of where you want the scanner out of the console. Depending on the console, this may mean taking out all of the plates. Then insert the scanner with the faceplate attached. You should be able to twist the scanner to one side or the other as you insert it to get the screw heads to clear the side rails of the console. Once you get the screw heads past the side rails, you're all set.

RolnCode3

I have the same problem with a BCD996T and my JottoDesk console.

Take the faceplates on either side of where you want the scanner out of the console. Depending on the console, this may mean taking out all of the plates. Then insert the scanner with the faceplate attached. You should be able to twist the scanner to one side or the other as you insert it to get the screw heads to clear the side rails of the console. Once you get the screw heads past the side rails, you're all set.

My Troy console was the same way. Had to remove other equipment and set the scanner in at an angle, then twist it into place. Then put all the equipment back in. Finding a replacement bolt is probably the best way to deal with this.

w2smw

Spend another $1.00 and get regular or tamper proof screws and you wil not have to go thru any extra work. You spent the mony for the radios and console spend a litte more and do it right.

ZachSmith

Spend another $1.00 and get regular or tamper proof screws and you wil not have to go thru any extra work. You spent the mony for the radios and console spend a litte more and do it right.

These available at most hardware stores or is it a specialty item? I'm familiar with them, just never tried to obtain them.

ResQguy

Meh
Take the thumbscrew to Lowes or Home Depot and check it against their thread guages, then buy what you need out of the drawers of machine screws.

Status
Not open for further replies.