Juicy Development Releases Police Scanner for Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Very exciting news!

Orem, Utah - iPhone developer Juicy Development releases Police Scanner for the Android market. Based on the top 100 app for the iPhone, Police Scanner for Android allows listeners to listen to police, fire, and EMS activities around the world.

"We are very excited to be offering Police Scanner for Android," said David Kyle, project manager. "This creates all sorts of opportunities for our users."

Unlike other emergency scanner applications, Police Scanner's adaptive technology allows updates to data streams to post "live" within a few hours of changes made. Because emergency data streams can change so quickly, Police Scanner is able to provide the updated information to its customers without waiting for slow version changes in an application update.

With over 2300 national and international EMS streams, Police Scanner offers the largest selection of police, fire, and emergency services streams available for the Android in one application. Users can locate and listen to police dispatch frequencies worldwide. Police Scanner is the only emergency scanner application to provide streams from nine countries. New streams are added daily.

"We partner with RadioReference.com, who provides a large number of our streams," said Kyle. "But we take it a step further, and have a research team constantly adding new streams that no one else has."

Police Scanner runs on wireless LANs, the 3G, or on the Edge network, and is compatible all Android devices.

Pricing and Availability:
Police Scanner can be downloaded from the Android Market for $2.99 USD. Additional features are released on a regular schedule. Police Scanner is a product of Juicy Development, which also produces the popular iPhone application Talk Radio for both iPhone and Android and FastTrac (coming soon for Android).

Based in Orem, Utah, Juicy Development LLC creates fun, functional, and mouth-watering applications for the Apple iPhone. Google Android, and other mobile devices. In addition to the release of several mobile apps for the public market, Juicy also does contract and private development. Copyright 2008 Juicy Development LLC. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod, Google, and Android are registered trademarks of their respective companies in the U.S. and/or other countries.
###
Tod Hadley
CEO
Juicy Development LLC

lbashaw

Droid App has issues

I downloaded the Droid Scanner App, and it still needs tweaking...it was uninstalled until problems resolved. Functions buttons would not work, and the app force closes constantly Good idea, but has Droid problems still. I have it on I-Phone and it works great.

Mbk127k

and this is why everyone is switching over to P-25 Digital and going with encryption because how accessible to listen to communications anywhere even on phones.

tmundal

and this is why everyone is switching over to P-25 Digital and going with encryption because how accessible to listen to communications anywhere even on phones.

My neighbor is a K9 and swat officer here in town, and he is very much against the ability to listen to scanner stuff on a phone. He thinks at the very least certain channels should be kept off of feeds. Nothing has happened yet, but the potential for officers to be hurt because the bad guys knew when and where they are is too high for his liking.

XTS3000

My neighbor is a K9 and swat officer here in town, and he is very much against the ability to listen to scanner stuff on a phone. He thinks at the very least certain channels should be kept off of feeds. Nothing has happened yet, but the potential for officers to be hurt because the bad guys knew when and where they are is too high for his liking.

I totally agree with you and Mbk127k. Due to scanner streaming, my town has stopped using their radios except for calling in their beginning and ending millage (they take their cars home).

So rather then knowing what is going on around in town, we are in the dark now thanks to public streaming apps.

Expect when your department realizes they are streaming workdwide, they will change how they use their radios.

Public streaming = bad idea
Private streaming = good idea

It going to take one officer hurt or killed, and when they find the perp. had a iPhone tuned to their frequency, the **** will hit the fan.

I can just see the headlines;
"Scanner app leads to police officers death"
"Murder eludes police with the help of scanner app"

XTS3000

Hope Juicy Development LLC has a good lawyer, because they will need it in a wrongfull death lawsuit someday.

lowerrollin

Feed Provider
Hope Juicy Development LLC has a good lawyer, because they will need it in a wrongfull death lawsuit someday.

I think this is a bit of over exaggeration. When or if the blame finger is pointed, im sure everyone who had there hand in it will have to answer. This includes the scanner app companies, Radio Reference and even the user who streams the broadcast. I agree with tmundal and his K-9 friend, where we as scanner feed providers need to limit some frequencies we broadcast. Almost all agencies in Tennessee have some sort of encryption or "mutual aid" channel they can switch to if need be. Some use radios that a normal scanner has a hard time receiving, such as THP and there low band system. There is always a hurdle that law enforcement will have to jump to stay ahead of the game, but they do, and they will.

On a side note, I downloaded the police scanner app and it doesn't receive feeds. Buttons don't work. Uninstalled and refunded untill bugs can be fixed. Sprint Hero with Android 1.5.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
We already have terms of service which prohibit broadcast of any sensitive communcations. Swat, CID, narcotics, etc.

On the flip slide, there are many agencies which appreciate, use, and even broadcast to our platform. Just as some see scanners as a negative, they'll see this as a negative.

The irony is some of the postings here coming from active users of a scanning forum.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
On the flip slide, there are many agencies which appreciate, use, and even broadcast to our platform.
I occasionally take a look at the Top 50 Live Audio Feeds list and what I find very interesting are the number of small to medium sized cities that I see represented on that list. This has always made me wonder whether or not folks associated with public safety agencies in those towns monitor the feeds as part of their daily routine.

ButchGone

As long as sensitive stuff like SWAT ops are not streamed, it's great! The public should not be locked out of listening to what our government is doing. Funny, how government finds clever ways to snoop into people's lives, while at the same time government wants to shield itself.
BG..

tmundal

I occasionally take a look at the Top 50 Live Audio Feeds list and what I find very interesting are the number of small to medium sized cities that I see represented on that list. This has always made me wonder whether or not folks associated with public safety agencies in those towns monitor the feeds as part of their daily routine.

I know most officers around here have scanners in their vehicles, and they monitor the other police and fire agencies in the area that way.

mikegun

re police scan on android phone

i have an android phone with a thing called POLICEATREAM on it gets thousands of police depts,in several diff countries, as a ret Cop i enjoy this feature very much, but i can see the inhearent dangers if it is used by the wrong people, i guess time will tell, i can only hope it is not misused and an officer is not hurt or killed as a result.....

durango5550

Booger D.
Scanners have been around for a long time, the "Bad guys" wouldn't need a scanner to do the things they set out to do. Criminals will do what it takes with or without scanners to commit their crime. Its not like LEO's tell dispatch where they are every 5 seconds. I believe scanners have helped LE more than it has hindered LE. I will do my best to dig up articles to prove this theory .

Saying a LEO will get killed by a criminal using a scanner is a bit much.

Stick0413

Premium Subscriber
Scanners have been around for a long time, the "Bad guys" wouldn't need a scanner to do the things they set out to do. Criminals will do what it takes with or without scanners to commit their crime. Its not like LEO's tell dispatch where they are every 5 seconds. I believe scanners have helped LE more than it has hindered LE. I will do my best to dig up articles to prove this theory .

Saying a LEO will get killed by a criminal using a scanner is a bit much.

Yeah one time I was listening and a hotel just got robbed and they gave a description of the car. As I was driving home (next exit off the interstate) I spotted abandoned in a convince store parking lot. I called it in and sure enough it was the car but the perps had already left (they were later caught). I actually told the dispatcher that I heard them broadcast the BOL for the car on my scanner and he thanked me and said we could use more sets of eyes like yours out there.

Dafydd

Does this app carry other feeds besides police and other emergency services? My own feed is railroads, for example.

Aside: I have thought about adding a feed of my city's trunk, but they're supposed to be getting a new digital system soon and I don't want to be on for just a short time before I have to take it down.

abbydabby

radio ref should stop being a provider for cell phones i dont know much about this but i do know my next door person is a convicted sex offender an he showed me his app from rr he was bragging about knowing where the cops were all the time i didnt even know you could do this shame on someone kw

Status
Not open for further replies.