• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Jump starting a battery

Here's one interesting way to jumpstart a dead battery I saw the other day. Two wrenches were used instead of cable! With the length of a wrench being less than a foot, voltage loss was minimal and it started the car right away. Only caveat is you need a good battery up close with the dead one.

KB4MSZ

Premium Subscriber
Myself, I prefer to maintain some distance from automotive batteries when being subjected to very high current demand such as in jump starting. This is especially true when there is a good likelihood that one of the batteries has a possible fault of some sort which caused the low state of charge to begin with.

I know a guy who does towing and the alligator clamps plug into the jumper cable. This is cool because with that, all his trucks actually have a connection in the grill for the cable, so truck to truck he doesn't even have to open the hood. When jumping someone else, he just plugs into the front of his truck and has to go into their hood.

I also met someone recently that tried to jump someone but couldn't tell which was positive.. so they guessed.
By the time we got there, the cables had melted through and into the vehicles. Just a little smoke and burning plastic. I'm sure both batteries are well and truly cooked now.

Tried to find a quick pic online, this is fairly close
View attachment 70821
Anderson Powerpoles. Pretty common in the towing industry. All our patrol cars have them too. I had a set of them for a while. The set I had contained a diode and an LED that would light when you had them correctly connected (cop proof). When the light was lit, you'd plug it in to the receptacle. They were about 30 feet long and something like #2 or maybe 1/0. Way to heavy for what I needed. Recycled them and got a basic set made of #4 from the hardware store.

The wrench idea is a bit scary. It would work, but make a mistake and it could be a mess. I work on a lot of high current DC power supplies at work, and it's easy to make a mistake.

On the other hand, I had to jump start one of our service vans last year. We were about 30 miles from the closest, well, anyone, and neither of us had jumper cables. I did have a roll of 6 gauge wire, so we cut some wire, stripped it back and made do. I can tell you that #6 gets hot pretty quick when jumpstarting a V8.

I keep looking at the jumpstarter packs, but other than at work, I've not had to jumpstart a vehicle in a long time.

You could jump start with just a chain, put it across the positive terminals and push the trucks against each other as the grounded bodys complete the circuit. Never actually tried it, really don't want to, but theoretically it would work =)