Jumper from multicoupler to scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTCS

Premium Subscriber
Hi

I am working on expending my setup
I currently have a run of 150 ft LMR400 feeding into a polyphaser using an N connector then N to BNC into the scanner, using a short run of LMR400

I have found LMR400 stiff and unworkable toi plug into the back of the rig
I wish to expand and am going to order a Stridsberg MCA204M my question is
do I order the
MCA204M/N (with an N connector ) and run LMR400 between the polyphaser and coupler
can can I get away with something less rigid

from the outputs what kind of cable can I use to connect to the scanners?
the run should not exceed 10ft
These are used for 800mhz , cost isnt really a factor, i'd rather pay more and have loss loss
Thanks!

zz0468

QRT
Banned
You probably wouldn't be hurting a thing to just run RG58 jumpers from the multicoupler to the receivers.

BillyFred

My opinion is to buy the multicoupler with BNC. Use a short section of good RG-58 with a mating N on one end and a BNC on the other from you LMR400. Then same style coax (RG58) from the multicoupler to the radios. This prevents damage to your multicoupler from the very stiff LMR400 and gives you good, easy to work with BNC connectors on everything. For what it's worth, but that's what I do!

mpddigital

Alternatives to RG-58

If you really want to step down to smaller coax look at either US RG-58 from Alpha, Western Wire, and others (not chinese radio schlock stuff) or a Belden 9907. Another option is any of the coax cables that were originally designed for first generation internet networking. They all carry RF very well and are designed to be far less lossy than RG-58.

A better choice would be to step down to LMR-195 or the Commscope version of the same or even 240. Cable is usually a long term buy. If you get good stuff you can expect 20 years of good service.

Status
Not open for further replies.