just a little help just starting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

slreno1217

Premium Subscriber
hello,
I just bought a rs pro 96, I know it is a older scanner but seems to work quite well for what I want.
I did a bit of research about programming this thing before I got it and I read that it was a complete nightmare to manually program without the cable. but in fact it seemed really easy to me unless I have done something wrong and have not completed the programming fully and that's where my questions come in..

first off I am on a smartnet2 setup in Dayton ohio police. and am I correct in reading that all I have to do is manually enter the control channels and the scanner will get the rest from there? because if I look at the channels on your page here it shows 4 control channels and the rest are in black. also If I go down the page a bit it shows a whole bunch of talkgroups with dec numbers, which I assume is all the channels the control channels will pick up also?

if this is correct then this setup I have should be correct and was way easier than most made it out to be!.

also I have Dayton police setup on bank 0 and would it be best for me to setup other places like Montgomery county sheriff on bank 1 and so on and so on so I can actually turn off banks I don't want here as needed? just wanting to make sure I am doing this correct and don't get totally confused with what I am hearing and how I have it setup.

one other thing I will ask in a bit is I see I can setup talkgroups and such. by not doing this rite now is there anything I am missing. I mean will this thing display things I am not seeing rite now because none are setup yet. I mean like making it easier to see what I am hearing when it stops on a conversation?

sorry for the noob questions but need just a little help is all. I am hearing Dayton police just perfect rite now just want to make sure I have not missed anything and missing a ton of chatter because of it.

slreno1217

Premium Subscriber
ok, I have done a lot of reading and tinkering since I posted these questions and have answered most of my own questions. but still do have a few I would like you pros to look at.

I have found that talkgroups is the way to go I can name them as in police, west side, east side, street and so on! I like it. also figured out the best way to program with channels and banks.

but I do have a question about rebanding. it SEEMS that Dayton has been rebanded but it has not affected the way the pro96 will work and is picking them all up without problem, OR IS IT? I have all 4 control channels programmed in bank 0 channel 1234 and am picking up Dayton fine, but am I missing any? what I have noticed is the only channel I pick up that has chatter is channel 3,,,,,1,2 and 4 never show anything? is this normal? now from what I read since the control channel didn't go above a certain number on the rebanding and the 4 decimal number isn't a 0 then I didn't need to reband my pro 96, is this correct? I cannot for the life of me remember where I read that part but would sure like to find it again. anyway my control channels are as follows (854.53750c, 857.21250c, 858.21250c, 859.21250c)..

anyhelp would be appreciated
thanks

slreno1217

Premium Subscriber
ok disregard all the questions asked before.. I have paid for the subscription to do this the easy way. but the issue I am having now is that in win96 soft I can get all the info into the win96 soft and shows all the channels and so on. and then I go into and write to scanner and I get a format error on the scanner that shows the whole time it is writing.. but after the write is complete the channels are there? is the format something I should just ignore? or is it not writing correct? is there a way to check to make sure it is writing the reband file.. because I am selecting mot3600 multi table and then selecting the extended tables and selecting 800 reband? and for some reason the the mot 9600 is set to multi table also? should it be that way or no?

thanks for info
steve

slreno1217

Premium Subscriber
ok guys , sorry again for the switching of all these questions here.. but disregard all the questions above I have figured it all out... I wasn't doing it from clone mode was trying to do it from dsp load mode.

but now my problem is I can download all the info needed from radio ref now and works great but on ly problem is I am trying to load the files and they load great and work great after a load but if try to load another bank for like our sheriffs dept it will delete the Dayton police I loaded before and load the sheriff only? and yes I have the banks set up different so they should load to dif banks and not delete each other?
what am I doing wrong. I am using win96 soft. is there a way to get 2 temps to load at once for 2 dif banks? or do I need to do it one at a time and if so how do I stop it from deleteing one when I do it one at a time?

I really appreciate your patience with me. I am all good after this is done.. I have been reading all day long and pretty much am close to what I what..
thanks again
steve

puzzleriddle

you have to upload all banks at once. when you upload it will automatically overwrite the last upload. also if listening to an 800 motorola trunked system you will need to apply the re banding tables
again make all changes, save em then upload to scanner

slreno1217

Premium Subscriber
ok that's where I am getting lost. here is what I have done.. I need some help saving them as a single file I guess so they will load both at same time.. how to do it..
I download both of them .. and saved as Dayton city and the other as mont sheriff. I have set up the rebanding as a 800 MHz reband for both .. are you saying I need to combine them and then write to scanner? because as of now t, and set one for bank 0 and the other for bank 1.. but to do this I have to have 2 templates open again they are Dayton city and mont sheriff. how do I combine as you say and both at same time.. that is whats confusing me. cant figure out how combine to write at same time?

sorry for noobing out :))

slreno1217

Premium Subscriber
ok got it! guess it took a bit of fiddeling! I wasn't changing the bank # during the download from radio ref. for each time I download and it was over writing the previous bank on the second download.
thanks guys.

just a quick question though. on the mont county sheriff download it changed the reband table 9600 and the 3600. is that because radio ref knows that's how that systems is rebanded? because the Dayton city download didn't change the 9600 table only the 3600 800mhz reband table.

Status
Not open for further replies.