Just a Plain Good Old Earphone/plug-396T

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Please point me in the right direction. I can't seem to find much of anything in the way of hits on Uniden's site regarding replacement earphones/plugs. You know, the little white of black things that used to come with every "transistor radio" and I believe came with the 396 (I didn't get it new, I'm guessing).
I'm not talking about ear "buds", those things fall outta my ears and I don't need to hear the scanner in 2 ears (when I cut the grass with hearing protection on). I'm not looking to pay exorbitantly for them, they should be less than $5 each. Thanx for any leads.

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yeah, keep in mind the plug is a stereo, not mono, plug. You would need an adapter to use anything that's mono...Mike

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, keep in mind the plug is a stereo, not mono, plug. You would need an adapter to use anything that's mono...Mike
I never had the original with this.....why would they be stereo? The audio is mono. I have been using an old mono earpiece with mine, but, I can tell it's life is nearing an end. Thanx

bwhite

Premium Subscriber

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Something like that, yes. I'll bet they aren't on the shelf at the local store. Smile.
I'm using a plan, mono, earphone similar to the one kevino linked on my 396XT, and before the XT's came out, used it on my 396T, among others. No adapter used nor needed.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I never had the original with this.....why would they be stereo? The audio is mono. I have been using an old mono earpiece with mine, but, I can tell it's life is nearing an end. Thanx

Many radios today do use stereo jacks. Why, I'm not sure but I guess for those that do use stereo headsets being as that is about all that is sold these days. They do still sell pillow speakers which have mono plugs.

If the jack is not wired correctly, a mono plug in a stereo jack will short out the audio through the ring and sleeve contacts and no sound at all is the result.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Interesting, I just called Uniden Parts for the earphone that I thought came with this. She said they really don't list anything and that the only thing suggested is the big "racing" headphones at about $21. Just because I'm curious, I will plug in some stereo earbuds this evening to see how they work in the 396. If they are Ok maybe I can just lay them in the cup of my hearing protectors that I use when mowing.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Nope, I tried using a scanner speaker with a mono plug and it wouldn't work...

You will barely get any output if plugging an actual 8 or 4 ohm speaker into the headphone jack. It will seem shorted as the output will be very low and sometimes inaudible. That is the result of the limiting resistor in the circuit.
They limit the headphone output with a resistor so people do not blow their eardrums out when using headphones.
You can use the headphone jack with a pair of amplified computer speakers as it is but the jack itself is not setup to drive a speaker directly.

With that said, I plugged a mono plugged single earphone into both my 396 and 996 XT models and it worked just fine in both.
I then tried a mono to stereo adapter with a pair of over the ear headphones and they also worked fine. I then plugged the same headphones stereo plug directly into both scanners headphone jacks and had great audio in both left and right headphone speakers again.
If I plug an 8 ohm scanner speaker in (with a mono plug), I get very little audio with the volume cranked all the way. It sounds like the audio is shorted but it is really just the limiting resistor not passing enough current to drive the speakers voice coil.

I did not try the trick that works on the GRE and RS models where you short the plugs sleeve to ground. That trick bypasses the limiting resistor and restores full audio. I'm not certain Uniden scanners have the limiting resistor on the ground side of the headphone jack circuit like GRE scanners do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.