Just another OS X Scanner Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durangoGreg

For what it's worth, here is an Xcode version of a monitor app for the BCD536HP. It might work for the 436 and HP1 as well. I am not sure as I only have a BCD536HP.

It displays the timestamp, System, Department, Channel, Frequency/TGID, and mode of the incoming call.
Maintains a hit count list. Has volume control and mute with restore.

Nothing fancy. There might be issues with serial port connection if the computer goes to sleep and may require a restart of the radio to correct.

The startup procedure is

1) With radio powered off, plug in radio to computer via USB cable.
2) Start Scanner Remote App.
3)Turn on radio, (it prompts for serial or USB) select serial mode by pressing the NO(.) key on the radio.
4) Select the proper serial port from the selection box menu in the app. (usually USBModemxxxxxxx).
5) Select the proper baud rate (usually 115200 works best)
6) Click the open button to open the serial port connection.

From that point on "Scanner Remote" should start working. You will either see the incoming call in the monitor window or you will see the text "Scanning or Idle".

For proper shutdown always press the close button first, then close the app. The radio can be left on and "Scanner Remote" can be restarted following steps 4 thru 6.

Let me know if you have any problems. This is an OS X only app. (Sorry Windows users)

Link to App ===> <https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1884169/Scanner%20Remote.zip>

Just unzip the download file and place in Applications folder.

durangoGreg

Screen Shot

Here is a screenshot of the app.

Attachments

• SampleWindow.jpg
    SampleWindow.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 2,337

mrkelso

It doesn't recognize the serial to usb null modem. It see's it in the list but won't connect. 536HP

using rear port for these type programs

durangoGreg

Odd, I don't have any problem with my laptop or my desktop Apple computers.

However I am using the front port on my scanner but I would think the rear port would work too.

After you select the serial port on the pop-up button, set the baud rate, and press "Open". What does the app do?

I did once have an issue with the serial port not wanting to open but it went away once I turned off the radio, turned it back on, and selected serial port with the No(.) button on the radio.

durangoGreg

Glad to hear that it works fine for you all. It works fine on all my computers.

I don't understand MRKelso's problem as the serial port part is from a common library used by MIT and is thoroughly tested. I think his problem is due to either his cable, or his radio config. His radio might need to be reset because the serial port should always open if the port is operating properly.

I may try to do a port of sentinel to the mac but it would take a lot of time to figure out the structure of the database and test to make sure the files get written correctly.

wk5h

Premium Subscriber
Finally got a chance to try this out tonight with my 536. Very clean, and no issues so far. Have only tried it on my Mac Mini, but, no serial port issues as reported by some.

y84media

Just noticed that I said "down in the future"... I guess I meant down the road or in the future. I'm getting old. :(

Still a great app!!

durangoGreg

Just noticed that I said "down in the future"... I guess I meant down the road or in the future. I'm getting old. :(

Still a great app!!

Just put the app together for the fun of it. I don't have any real plans but have thought about adding squelch control and avoid button.

Really, I am just waiting until the siren app comes out to see what is possible through remote control commands on the network.

Glad you like the app. If I make any changes, I'll post them here.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Works fine. . .

Working just fine with a BCD436HP on a Macbook 6,1 (late 2009) running Mavericks from an SSD (which makes it really zing).

y84media

Running my 536HP on my Mid 2010 17" MBPro,. Putting the SSD in mine runs like a new machine. Off to desktop in 20 seconds. Used to be 1:30 with the 7200rpm drive that was in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jturner3

Compatibility with 10.8.5

Hi Greg,

Is there a reason why the app is not compatible with OS 10.8.5?

It am holding off updating my computer for another 60 to 90 days.

There is a lot of work and personal apps on it that don't have Mavricks or Yosemeti compatibility yet, so I have to wait, would like to be able to use the 536 mac scanner program with what I have if there is a download that would work.

Thanks.

John

www.turnersandiego.com/kg6odi

ranchboy

Premium Subscriber
Wow! Thank you sir, worked on the first try with 436hp!

I've been waiting for something like this to work on my Mac.

Kudos!

Status
Not open for further replies.