Just another question about antenna for 700/800 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
I thought by providing as much information as possible would be the best way to get a good answer. It appears that 90% of what I monitor is a TRS in the 700/800 MHz band. Since I am located in southern Delaware by the Atlantic Ocean, Coast Guard provides good listening during the summer, both traditional and digital communications in the 160 band. My current antenna is situated about 30'-35' off the ground, perhaps 10' above my roof line, but I have a large line of pine trees abutting to one side. My current roof antenna does not seem to work any better than the 800Mhz portable antenna in my home. Since all systems in Maryland and Delaware are now trunking, can someone recommend a decent base antenna capable of increasing range in the 700-800 band? I believe in you get what you pay for! I forgot I have an SDS 100 and 436. Thanks

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I thought by providing as much information as possible would be the best way to get a good answer. It appears that 90% of what I monitor is a TRS in the 700/800 MHz band. Since I am located in southern Delaware by the Atlantic Ocean, Coast Guard provides good listening during the summer, both traditional and digital communications in the 160 band. My current antenna is situated about 30'-35' off the ground, perhaps 10' above my roof line, but I have a large line of pine trees abutting to one side. My current roof antenna does not seem to work any better than the 800Mhz portable antenna in my home. Since all systems in Maryland and Delaware are now trunking, can someone recommend a decent base antenna capable of increasing range in the 700-800 band? I believe in you get what you pay for! I forgot I have an SDS 100 and 436. Thanks
The only thing I can imagine that would cause your rooftop not to work better than a portable radio antenna is you have the wrong coaxial. You need a very low loss coax on a long run to the Rooftop. I use LMR 400.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I agree, tell us about the system you have. Specifics regarding the coaxial cable type, length, connectors, etc. would all be useful.

There are a lot of good options for antennas if that truly is your issue, but you need to look at your antenna system as one complete package. In other words, the antenna is only as good as your coaxial cable. Your cable is only as good as your connection, etc….

Ubbe

My current antenna is situated about 30'-35' off the ground, perhaps 10' above my roof
You didn't mention what antenna you have. If it's a discone then that's part of the problem as those have 10dB or more degradation at 800MHz. The best solution, to still be able to monitor 150-500Mhz, are to use a diplexer or similar device to let the discone be active below 600Mhz and a dedicated 700-900MHz antenna for the frequencies above 700MHz. It doesn't need to be a particular good or expensive antenna to make a huge difference, something like a mobile antenna with a GP kit will do fine.

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.