• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Just bought a couple of XTS3000 radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

agenovese01

Hello everybody, Just getting into the fun world of Amateur radio. Just trying to figure out how to use the CPS software, and I do have connection to both radios. Was wondering if their is someone who can give me some info on how to program for someone without a license right now and still be legal or ways to make legal. I would gladly communicate via discord or any other way, thanks !

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
If your worried about accidentally transmitting you can always program the channel as a Receive Only personality, or designate the top selector for TX Inhibit, then you can turn that off and transmit your call sign when you have a license and are ready to get on the air. There's nothing illegal about possessing a radio capable of transmitting without a license

agenovese01

Appreciate the info!! I am still going through the menu and trying to figure out/setup the frequencies a civilian is allowed to use without a license. I am going to be using these radios for range duty it looks like. Thanks again for the help !

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Appreciate the info!! I am still going through the menu and trying to figure out/setup the frequencies a civilian is allowed to use without a license. I am going to be using these radios for range duty it looks like. Thanks again for the help !

With those radios, there are not any frequencies you can use without a license.

You either need a license, or you need to understand that you are using them in violation of the FCC rules.

If you are planning on using these for business use, there are licenses you can get that will cover them.
If you are using them for personal use, then there is always amateur radio.

These radios don't meet the requirements for FRS.
GMRS requires a license.
They don't meet the requirements for MURS.

We can point you in the right direction if you share the model number/frequency band. XTS-3000 doesn't tell us much, other than you purchased some old radios.

agenovese01

H09UCH9PW7AN is the model, but not sure on the frequency band because what I’ve seen is uhf vhf and 800 but maybe it’s just a single band maybe ? Is there a way to tell with software wise or other info I can look up ? Thanks again !

kf8yk

800 MHz only. Not very useful for your purpose as these radios don't cover any of the 'personal' radio services (amateur, MURS, FRS, GMRS).

Getting a business license on 800 MHz isn't cheap or easy, it's probably more cost effective to acquire different radios on a lower band.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
The only legal use for that band for the ordinary citizen is as a monitor for P25 law, fire, and ems frequencies. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should transmit be active in an 800 MHz radio on that band. The 3000 series are only single band.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
The U in the model number tells us its 800mhz. It was probably described as all the bands right? probably a copy/paste job of a spec sheet as sellers post when they have no idea about the item their selling. It's useless for what you want to do

H09UCH9PW7AN is the model, but not sure on the frequency band because what I’ve seen is uhf vhf and 800 but maybe it’s just a single band maybe ? Is there a way to tell with software wise or other info I can look up ? Thanks again !

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, as these guys pointed out, there are no radio services that you can use these on without proper frequency coordination and licensing. If you were a small business, and had a $1000 or more to spend, you could hire a frequency coordinator to find you a frequency pair, then license it through the FCC, and use them there.
There are NO 800MHz amateur frequencies.
There are NO 800MHz GMRS, FRS, CB, or MURS frequencies.
There are NO 800MHz "Free", "License Free" or other unregulated channels.

Unfortunately you purchased radios without doing your research. The only thing you can -LEGALLY- do with these radios is listen to other users.

Best option you have is to try and sell them, and get correct radios for the job. Tell us what your needs are, and we'd be more than happy to assist you in making the right choices.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
@agenovese01 - Here are some radio options you can use that are licensed by rule. Basically, buy them and use them with zero testing and zero FCC fees. You can find these on Amazon and various online resellers. I am unsure of the terrain and distance for your "...range duty...", but these might work fine.

Option #1. An FRS radio would be legal for you to use at this point. A plus is that you need not worry about programming them. Use the same channel on both and you're good to go. Typically under $50 for two. These radios use 462~467 MHz and scanners/receivers can easily monitor your conversation if that is a concern.

Option #2. Motorola DLR1060 model radios have at least six channels. They use (FHSS) Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum which means your communication is basically private from anyone trying to listen using a scanner/receiver. The cost is under $500 for two. The DLR1020 model has only two channels and costs slightly less. These radios use frequencies in the 900 MHz range. They are pre-programmed, but you can customize to some degree.

Option #3. Motorola DTR600 model radios also use FHSS and are a more rugged compared to the DLR series. They also cost more and can be had for under $700 for two radios. These radios also use the 900 MHz range. These are also pre-programmed, but you can customize to some degree.

agenovese01

Hey guys just an update, I am going to try a baofeng uv-9g just for kicks and I also got a yaesu vx-8dr that I’m going to try and setup. I appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.