Just bought a Home Patrol, but thinking of getting a Pro-106 before 30 day return

Status
Not open for further replies.

andfrench

Hello, I would like to first introduce myself as a newcomer to scanners, as its taken a while for me to save enough money for a good scanner. I also recently acquired a job at Radio Shack which of course grants me a discount on most items (partly just to get myself a scanner ;-) ). After months of research and sifting through manuals, forums, reviews, and videos, I finally decided to give the Uniden Home Patrol a try. My reasoning is first, I need a handheld unit, and since I will be mostly accessing the radio reference database, this scanner should be ideal because it is pretty straightforward. I didnt schoose it soley on its user interface because a s relatively young and tech savvy person, I don't mind learning a new complicated device
however, i'm beginning to think that I have made a wrong choice and would like some input before my 30-day return policy expires. the scanner's interface is actually a lot more cumbersome than I anticipated, and the UI seems to have been developed without much thought. favorites list creation is more tedious than necessary, the delay or hold times are too long and cannot be edited globally, and basic features that other scanners have must be purchased as a $100 upgrade.
My main problems with the scanner is reception is crisp (when it works) but is extremely choppy at decoding, kind of like listening to a low quality video on YouTube that has to stop to buffer every couple seconds. I also miss a lot of conversations due to the beginning or end being cut off at random. I could get an antenna, but of course I also have to get a SMA to BNC adapter witch is another element of annoyance.
Whats the scan speed on the Home Patrol anyway? it says a maximum of 100 channels per sec, but it often fluctuates to much less than that.
Should I purchase the pro-106? is the performance, audio, and scan speed better than the Home Patrol? is it worth programming it with the software or manually with a subscription to radio reference? will I miss less conversations with this? I don't mind the extra work involved, and like a more configurable scanner with better performance, and the home patrol gives off the vibe that it is an uncompleted concept.
Lastly where does the Uniden bcd996xt fall into this category, especially against the pro-106?

Thank you all in advance...

trunker

Go for the 106. More features you can fine tune. More features for the money. Better interface. Better size.

The 996XT will do all that but has GPS compatible programming and a Bandscope too, if you want a base model. The 396XT is the hand-held version.

Last edited:

kg4pbd

Hello, I would like to first introduce myself as a newcomer to scanners, as its taken a while for me to save enough money for a good scanner. I also recently acquired a job at Radio Shack which of course grants me a discount on most items (partly just to get myself a scanner ;-) ). After months of research and sifting through manuals, forums, reviews, and videos, I finally decided to give the Uniden Home Patrol a try. My reasoning is first, I need a handheld unit, and since I will be mostly accessing the radio reference database, this scanner should be ideal because it is pretty straightforward. I didnt schoose it soley on its user interface because a s relatively young and tech savvy person, I don't mind learning a new complicated device
however, i'm beginning to think that I have made a wrong choice and would like some input before my 30-day return policy expires. the scanner's interface is actually a lot more cumbersome than I anticipated, and the UI seems to have been developed without much thought. favorites list creation is more tedious than necessary, the delay or hold times are too long and cannot be edited globally, and basic features that other scanners have must be purchased as a $100 upgrade.
My main problems with the scanner is reception is crisp (when it works) but is extremely choppy at decoding, kind of like listening to a low quality video on YouTube that has to stop to buffer every couple seconds. I also miss a lot of conversations due to the beginning or end being cut off at random. I could get an antenna, but of course I also have to get a SMA to BNC adapter witch is another element of annoyance.
Whats the scan speed on the Home Patrol anyway? it says a maximum of 100 channels per sec, but it often fluctuates to much less than that.
Should I purchase the pro-106? is the performance, audio, and scan speed better than the Home Patrol? is it worth programming it with the software or manually with a subscription to radio reference? will I miss less conversations with this? I don't mind the extra work involved, and like a more configurable scanner with better performance, and the home patrol gives off the vibe that it is an uncompleted concept.
Lastly where does the Uniden bcd996xt fall into this category, especially against the pro-106?

Thank you all in advance...

You mentioned your main problem includes choppy decoding. Keep in mind, if you are trying to monitor a simulcast P25 system, another scanner may not solve your problem. It may be an antenna issue.

se

Hello.

Im in London, Ontario Canada and Ive had my HP-1 practically since it was released and I love it more than I dont. I bought the Extreme upgrade when it was released too and it adds some pretty neat features to the HP-1 and Id be willing to bet that there will be more paid upgrades to come in the future. I bought my HP-1 because its extremely easy to program. Ive owned 3 previous UNIDEN scanners and they were very cumbersome to program and setup, so thats why I just use the HP-1 these days. However I think UNIDEN itself should manufacture a better, separate line of right-angled antennas for the HomePatrol-1 as I think mine does have short comings, it would also make it easier on HP-1 owners.

Sheldon.

andfrench

Hopefully my sma to bnc adapter comes in the mail shortly so i can test to see if it helps. I live in Dearborn county Indiana with is a part of the IN/KY/OH tri county area, so I monitor the Indiana Hoosier SAFE-T, Ohio MARCS, Hamilton county, and Boone county systems. My only worry is that the pro-106 may not be able to scan all of these frequencies quickly enough so i can follow conversations

GrumpyAeroGuy

Premium Subscriber
well, i have a GRE psr500 (identical for all practical purposes to the 106)...

I, too, listen to MARCS and HC (from Warren County).

As you work at the shack, try out a 106 on Hamilton County. I assume you may not be overwhelmed by its performance due to simulcast distortion. From where I am located, on a scale of 1-10, I would rate the HamCnty reception as a 6 on a good day, 0 on a bad one. This is probably a big function of antenna and geo location as well.

It works great on MARCS, Clermont and Warren Counties. Hamilton Cnty.....:roll:

HamCnty is a challenging system, no matter which radio you own. Loads of sites, hilly...just not scanner friendly...especially when fighting a P25system.

my $0.05...

Last edited:

andfrench

Well, I just received my SMA to BNC adapter in the mail today, and so I purchased a Mag-mount antenna for my car and a larger telescoping antenna for my home and right away I noticed that I was picking up signals much further from the west, but east of me (Hamilton county) still comes in very choppy and distorted. From that observation I do think that the terrain of my location does present a problem. So to summarize, I am definitely getting more signals, but the signals are still choppy and distorted. Perhaps i'm just expecting a little much for my scanner, but for as pricey as it is, I may just return it and spend the remainder of my money elsewhere. However the scan speed of the 106 still concerns me.

fasteddy64

I have both and am keeping both.
If I could only have one it would be tough to pick between the two.

The 106 is awesome, but the HP-1 is unbeatable when I travel.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If you want digital, go for PRO-197 or pro-106 (or both!) :D

73 & Happy Holidays,
n9zas

Nasby

I have the PRO-106 and was also concerned about the scan speed. However, after several years of monitoring conventional and trunked systems at once, its not that big of a deal and seems plenty fast enough.

Dewey

Keep in mind that UPman (Uniden Product Manager) has hinted at an update that may fix any multipath issues affecting the HomePatrol. This is a gamble concerning your timeline because we don't know anything about the update; what scanner it will be available for, exactly what it will do, or when it will be released, we just know that the hint is out there. When UPMan has dangled the carrot before us like this in the past, he has delivered. However, also keep in mind that not knowing anything about the update at this point is not his fault, but Uniden policy, so unless you're ready to put food on the table for him and his family, you'll just have to wait like the rest of us. (No harshness intended, only explaining why we only have a hint and nothing else).

Dewey

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
one more thing to check. make sure the hp is using the site that is giving you better signal strength. in my case (live in ripley co, work in boone), the hp will receive just enough from the guilford site to give me crappy audio. if i hit the "next" option, it may lock in on the lawrenceburg site and give me decent audio. you can see what sites it's trying to scan and deselect or avoid the sites that you know you won't hear. this could also help speed up scanning, too.

some of this can be overcome by using favorites lists. i've also used the software from butel to edit some systems in my favorite lists for range and location, so it better fits my travels. if only the hp could look at signal strength for a given system to help it decide which site to lock onto.

also, if you don't do a lot of traveling and/or won't be using the gps function, you may very well be better off with the 106, 197 or 396. i travel quite a bit and was spending way too much time updating my scanner before my trip. the hp1 is perfect for me.

jeff.

O

opp37

i have yet to figure out favorites finally learned that if you lock starcom you can edit what starcom picks up
but favorites beats me tried tried quick entry etc

my Hp has same problem starcom reception is choppy at times

and it like to lock on the wrong fire freq and i get static and cant hear whats going on

other wise i like all the details and how fast you can lock a channel to hear whats going on for a while
the recording etc

im stuck with mine it also has weird sound hard to describe garbled something and not as loud

also the mile thing is crap 0 is like 10 or so around you area and so on at zero i get mine and a few around

30 crap i picked up one at the bottom of IL unless the programmers labeled it wrong it was Jackson county Jackson city real clear

all in all im happy if it could just clean up the chop in starcom and the wrong fire i would be very satisfied

sorry so long hope it makes sense

Status
Not open for further replies.