Just bought a PRO-106, so confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

b_underdog

Hi everyone, I just bought a new PRO-106 scanner off of eBay but I'm so confused on how to program it. I haven't actually got it in hand yet but I was wanting to figure out how to program it beforehand. I did purchase the programming cable from Radio Shack (ship to store) but haven't got that either. Basically what I want to do is receive the Greenville, SC Sheriff, two local FD's, and three airports, but I want to only listen to them one or two at a time. With my old PRO-94 I could separate them into 100 channel banks but I'm not too sure how to do that with the new digital scanner. I think Greenville City PD and the SC Highway Patrol are trunked but I also have no experience with trunking and didn't know if I could listen to them also while only choosing which PD, FD, or airport I wanted to listen to at any given time. I am very technically-inclined but am just very overwhelmed with the new scanner technologies since I've been out of the loop for quite a few years now and I feel like such a newbie. Can anybody help? Thanks!

hey mate,
congrats on the new ( 2U ) radio!

ok,,you need to get a programming
cable,i thinks the model is 20-047
from radio shack..

DL a copy of win500 or arc500(free trials)
it will make manual entry of the freq's
much easier,
its an -object oriented- setup..wierd n scary
at first,,but easy and really cool once you get the hang
and feel..but you Need to get teh software..

if you get a 6month subsript to the radioreference
DB it will make proogrammin a breeze
with the import feature..

you NEED to get the cable though,,to do the updates
for the firmware,,and to program-and reprogram the radio..

also scan the hell out of the WIKI here,,start with this one,,
Pro-106 - The RadioReference Wiki
readi it and all the links,,i mean all,,not in one sitting
of course...lol

Last edited:
I agree with the FourthHorseman, software is the way to go. I don't have the software yet. I did mine all by hand. It took me a couple of days to figure it out. It works for me just fine. Kind of like doing by hand it's more of a learning experience for me. It is time consuming if you program by hand.

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
Join RR so you can download directly from the database... get WIN500 and the Radio Shack programming cable. Programming by hand is hell! :)

N8IAA

Basically what I want to do is receive the Greenville, SC Sheriff, two local FD's, and three airports, but I want to only listen to them one or two at a time. With my old PRO-94 I could separate them into 100 channel banks but I'm not too sure how to do that with the new digital scanner. I am very technically-inclined but am just very overwhelmed with the new scanner technologies since I've been out of the loop for quite a few years now and I feel like such a newbie. Can anybody help? Thanks!

In the 106, they are called SCANLISTS. You have 20 scan lists that can use any amount of the free memory in the scanner. Where on old scanners, the CC's took up how many ever bank channels, the 106 uses only one TSYS object(new word for bank channels). The TGID's use individual objects. Example, You load the CC's into the TSYS when programming. Then the TG's into individual objects. There is over 1800 objects with which to program the scanner. You pick a scanlist when you begin programming. I have a scanlist for my local FD, others for neighboring counties, and scanlists for conventional frequencies that I monitor.
HTH,
Larry

WM8L

Hey dog,

I have both the Pro106 & Pro197 which is basically the same radio only one is desk top and other hand held. It is all a new system of programing and I would hate to think of doing it without programing software and a pc. You are on the right track getting the cable. I have tried ARC500 and its ok but I am using WIN500 and I think it is a little more user friendly. Once you get it set up like you want it, save your file and experiment with different settings and frequencies. If you screw it up you can reload your original in less than a minute.

Once you get a good working backup you can save it into the scanners virtual memory where all settings and freqs are backed up. You can then reload your back up from VM if you don't have access to a pc at the time.

Good luck and have fun

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
+1 on Win500 software. If you've purchased the cable, you'll need the software. Many of us in the SC Upstate area have Win500 configuration files we can share with you (for free). Post a message in the SC forum and you'll be overwhelmed by responses.

b_underdog

Thanks everyone for your responses! I feel a little less overwhelmed now. I will post a message in the SC forum for some help with config files once I get the scanner in the mail.

firewurx

me too!

Hi all, new to forums, first post also.
After doing a couple days of research I went with the 106 as well. My scanner experience began with a Pro-28 in about 1996 and ended shortly after so everything was new to me with trunking and new digital scanner models currently out. I figured for my money, the 106 would be a good investment. Got it tonight at 9pm as the Shack closed, got home by 10, ate and fed the dog, pulled it out of the box by 11, put batteries in, pulled up my bookmark for Howard County MD on RR, manually input the frequencies and was listening in under an hour. Seemed easy for me to figure out, sorta clumsy buttons on the 106 (stiff/close together) but doesn't seem too difficult so far unless I'm missing something.

Status
Not open for further replies.