Just Bought BCD536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

sportsanchor

Premium Subscriber
I'm overwhelmed trying to understand how to get this scanner up and running properly. I punched in my zip code, but after an hour of listening, I still have yet to hear anything from my P25 Trunking.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?
It appears the scanner loaded in all the proper trunking freqs on its own.
It's "ID Scanning", but I'm picking up NO P25.

Please help.

Brent in Grand Rapids, Michigan

JamesO

Did you update the scanner firmware and Master Database??

If not, install the Sentinel Software, then choose from the Update tab.

You will then need to Write to the scanner once the Master Database has been updated.

Make sure the squelch is set to 2.

If needed, check Service Types, they are filters and will limit what you will receive.

Good luck.

sportsanchor

Premium Subscriber
Okay, I have managed to update the firmware and the master database.
I am now hearing P25 channels, which is a relief!

I'm not hearing any aircraft freqs yet.

Do I have to upload those manually?

Also, what time on Mondays is best to update the firmware and database?

Thanks.

Last edited:

JamesO

Okay, I have managed to update the firmware and the master database.
I am now hearing P25 channels, which is a relief!

I'm not hearing any aircraft freqs yet.

Do I have to upload those manually?

Also, what time on Mondays is best to update the firmware and database?

Thanks.

Go to Service Type and enable Aircraft if it is not enabled. The Service Type is a powerful and FRUSTRATING feature that filters out types of traffic. When in doubt, enable ALL Service Types then start to turn off ones that you do not want to monitor.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Firmware updates are issued as needed, not on a regular schedule. Database updates are normally available every Monday morning after 9 AM central time.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There are numerous videos on YouTube about the 536, 436 and Sentinel software. They were very helpful to my learning process.

sportsanchor

Premium Subscriber
Go to Service Type and enable Aircraft if it is not enabled. The Service Type is a powerful and FRUSTRATING feature that filters out types of traffic. When in doubt, enable ALL Service Types then start to turn off ones that you do not want to monitor.

Where do I find "Service Type?"

VE3RADIO

Firmware updates are issued as needed, not on a regular schedule. Database updates are normally available every Monday morning after 9 AM central time.

... is that right? So is nothing more needed right now on the x36 series? Common release it already :)

kc2kth

Make sure to pick yourself up a backup memory card or two. It's always good to have one in case something gets messed up on the included one, which seems to happen quite a bit. It happened to me a couple of times. I am having good luck with SanDisk Ultra cards someone else here suggested. As others point out, it's always good to have a backup card programmed and taped to the inside of the battery door of the scanner for easy swap out in case of corruption.

sportsanchor

Premium Subscriber
Couple more questions...

1. When using the "Replay" feature, can you only replay the last five transmissions, or can you set it to replay more than that?

2. I have yet to hear any "Ambulance-to-Hospital", or "Hospital-to-Ambulance" comms... I AM getting several EMS dispatches. I currently have these "Service Types" turned ON:

* Emergency Ops
* EMS Dispatch
* EMS-Tac
* EMS-Talk
* Hospital

I know there are several "Ambulance-to-Hospital" freqs available to monitor in my area because they came through clearly on my Uniden BC796D scanner which I had prior to this one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
1. Yes this would be the "Recording" feature where all transmissions are recorded and stored on the SD card, which can be later transferred to a computer (Function+Replay toggles Record on/off).

2. Seems like having the Hospital service type on would do the trick. I'd probably review the Sentinel database and confirm these channels have been assigned to the Hospital service type. While exceedingly remote, they could be assigned another service type that you may not have on.

Also, depending upon whether you have location control on, it is possible that the location for such channels is outside the range currently set in your scanner. If that's the case, such channels are locked out due to range considerations.

sfd119

Couple more questions...

1. When using the "Replay" feature, can you only replay the last five transmissions, or can you set it to replay more than that?

2. I have yet to hear any "Ambulance-to-Hospital", or "Hospital-to-Ambulance" comms... I AM getting several EMS dispatches. I currently have these "Service Types" turned ON:

* Emergency Ops
* EMS Dispatch
* EMS-Tac
* EMS-Talk
* Hospital

I know there are several "Ambulance-to-Hospital" freqs available to monitor in my area because they came through clearly on my Uniden BC796D scanner which I had prior to this one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

They might be under National Interop. Our statewide EMS channels fall under the national plan and they show up there.

wirr

Database Admin
GPS Operation

Any tips on how to get GPS scanning to work? I hooked up the Uniden GPS, tried various baud rates, no joy.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Set port to 4800. That is all you need to do. It can take 3-5 minutes to get a first fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.