Just bought my new toy need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

icarus911

HI people I hope someone can help. I just emptied my wallet on a new Pro-197. I managed to get it cloned from the Radio Shack I got it from. That was there extent of there help with it, I got the programming cable for it and was told it had the software to program it. I spent the $34.99 on it and found out all it had in it was the cable and a 30 day free trial software. So I got ripped. It took me a year to save the money up for the scanner and now I can't do anything more with it. I have read many posts on Win500 and ARC500 and PSRedit500. But I don't have the cash to buy anything more as I just got laid off. Can anyone help me? Is there any free software out there?

GrumpyGuard

Welcome to Radio Reference. You did not get ripped off. What are you looking to do with the scanner? You stated that the good folks at Radio Shack cloned it for you. All three radio programming software packages are good. Win500 has a good strong history dating back several scanner models. I have not used the ARC500. PSREdit500 is also a good program. All three programs can be downloaded with a free 30 trial. You can also program this radio using the key pad. Follow this link Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual and you will have an easy to read manual. There is no free soaftware for this radio.

RomeRon

HI people I hope someone can help. I just emptied my wallet on a new Pro-197. I managed to get it cloned from the Radio Shack I got it from. That was there extent of there help with it, I got the programming cable for it and was told it had the software to program it. I spent the $34.99 on it and found out all it had in it was the cable and a 30 day free trial software. So I got ripped. It took me a year to save the money up for the scanner and now I can't do anything more with it. I have read many posts on Win500 and ARC500 and PSRedit500. But I don't have the cash to buy anything more as I just got laid off. Can anyone help me? Is there any free software out there?

To get started you could program a wildcard for your area, As mentioned by GrumpyGuard you can download ARC500. PSREdit500 and WIN500 for a thirty day trial, just download them one at a time and you will have 90 days to get what you want programed in the scanner. I noticed you are not a Premium member, with that being said you would not be able to get the full advantage of the software without the RR downloads. If you will turn on your PM (Private Message) I will be glad to help you with your programming.

Man I feel for you on losing your job, My brother lost his a few months ago and it hurts to see him struggling to find another one.

nanZor

Ok, lets move beyond this challenge. There is a lot you can do without using software by programming it manually. Depending on your interests or location, it may not be as bad as it seems.

Take advantage of these 30 days to see if what was cloned in the store is actually relevant! Was this just a dump of data from what a store-manager thought might work? Was it from some random user elsewhere that was contributed to the store - which could be totally in error?

Compare what is in there now to the database here on Radio Reference. You might find what the store programmed was not ideal.

You'll have the hardware for when times get better to use the software. In the meantime, take control of your radio and do it yourself. Yeah, programming in 1000 channels is a drag - but really - to get started, you don't need that much - just some time.

Setting up a trunking system with the guidance from forum members, user guides, and databases may not be that bad once you do it once or twice. Sure, trying to alpha-tag 300 or more talk-groups manually is a drag, but you may only really be interested in a small handful - and the others you ignore anyway.

There is a satisfaction that comes from hand-programming knowing that you are not a slave to another piece of hardware - or waiting for a database update when something needs changing NOW. :)

DPD1

Mainly using Mac, I have never had the benefit of computer programing. It may be easier using a computer, but it's certainly not a necessity. I have over 2000 freqs I maintain on nothing more than a WP list. Get your money back on the software, read the manual for the radio, and you're off. All the info you need can be found on this site. And you can get tips from others on the appropriate state sub forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.