JUST Came Into Possession Of My Very Own Pro-106!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulietAlphaKilo

Premium Subscriber
Hey folks, I just wanted to say that I FINALLY managed to buy a Pro-106! I have been been aiming to get this particular scanner ever since last Christmas, when I was given a Pro-164, which unfortunately does not cover my area (P-25, in the National Capital Region). I never managed to find any in stock during discounts however, until just yesterday when I contacted my local Radio Shack, and they found a store in my area with Two In Stock!!! My Old Man works for Sprint, so he went with me and we received a discount on top of the store discount, and ALL IS WELL!!! Woohoo lol. This thing is so addicting, there's so much action around here. I especially wanted a Digital Triple-Trunking scanner seeing as I live under multiple Flight Paths, which the Medevac routinely traverses, and I also routinely witness Police Helo activity nearby (The news releases never say much, and I'm always curious as to what they're looking for).

I also managed to buy a FT-2600M from a fellow on here a few months back, and I am slowly collecting the necessary equipment in order to get it up and working soon (I already have the AC/DC Amp for the house). So basically, I am AT LAST on the road towards finally completing my goal of gaining experience with Radio Communications, and "getting connected" per say.

Anyways, I look forward to even more participation on this forum now that I have my Pro-106, and I will even make a point of trying to save some interesting communications when the opportunity presents itself, so that I can post it for all of you to hear.

On a side note, what are the first accessories that I should purchase for this device? I am taking a road trip soon, and my first thought is that I should buy a DC Adaptor, a Protective Case, and a USB Chord to connect to my laptop. What are your opinions? Any recommended brands that I should purchase, and/or should I be fine just buying the aforementioned at Radio Shack? Thanks.

MyScanner-02.jpg

MyScanner-04.jpg

MyScanner-05.jpg

ab2ms

Premium Subscriber
Congrats on the 106! You won't be disappointed. My biggest suggestions are the USB cable, WIN500 software and a premium membership here. Those 3 things will save a LOT of time!
Plus for the roadtrip, make use of V-folders!

Last edited:

Nasby

So how much of a Sprint discount did the Shack give you ? Just curious....

JulietAlphaKilo

Premium Subscriber
Congrats on the 106! You won't be disappointed. My biggest suggestions are the USB cable, WIN500 software and a premium membership here. Those 3 things will save a LOT of time!
Plus for the roadtrip, make use of V-folders!

Thanks! Yeah, I especially can't wait for my trip, as I am driving quite a distance, and therefore I expect to come across a multitude and variety of action.

I will definitely look into the membership, it seems to be a rather worthwhile investment, and as soon as I have the funds lined up, I will go for it.

I took your advice, and I purchased the USB cable today. I also purchased a 1/8" Jack Audio Cable, as well as an accompanying Mono-to-Stereo converter for my laptop-scanner connection. Also, for $20 I bought a case which should be able to hold the scanner and all accessories.

Thanks again for the advice, and I will take heed in regards to the V-folders, and Win500 as well.

Last edited:

JulietAlphaKilo

Premium Subscriber
So how much of a Sprint discount did the Shack give you ? Just curious....

10%. The total, including Virginia sales tax (5% where I bought it I believe, as it can vary by County), came out to roughly $359. Without the discount, it would have been approximately $400. My Net savings were around $166.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.