Just Close-Called Roselle Park PD in the clear on 159.210 PL 123.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

Just heard them talking about getting gas as I walked right past their Police Car at the gas station. Close called them on 159.210 PL 123.0

What a catch! Strange thing is that this is also Kenilworth's input frequency for 154.100. Should this be submitted to the DB as a "Tac channel"?

ecps92

Quite common for Dept's to share an input with a different tone, for tactical reasons, as is the use of Non Licensed frequencies
which generally were quite common under FCC Rules of non interference and low Power [ie: Portable only]

Many a T-Band agency used 465.xxx5 channels for low power ops as no one would think to look there.
Just heard them talking about getting gas as I walked right past their Police Car at the gas station. Close called them on 159.210 PL 123.0

What a catch! Strange thing is that this is also Kenilworth's input frequency for 154.100. Should this be submitted to the DB as a "Tac channel"?

Analogrules

Thanks. I am holding off on submitting to the DB for a couple of reasons. For one, haven't heard any further traffic on that frequency since and mainly because there is a slight possibility that Kenilworth PD is currently using the repeater in Roselle Park for "talk around" and it was a coincidence that I happened to be passing a RP unit when capturing the transmission. I did double check the FCC DB and only Kenilworth is officially licensed to this frequency.

Analogrules

Quite common for Dept's to share an input with a different tone, for tactical reasons, as is the use of Non Licensed frequencies
which generally were quite common under FCC Rules of non interference and low Power [ie: Portable only]

Many a T-Band agency used 465.xxx5 channels for low power ops as no one would think to look there.

True, I guess it is perfectly fine for Departments to share their channels too. I remember years ago, 159.210 was Kenilworth's MAIN PD dispatch channel and therefore surrounding towns also had this frequency in their radios. Therefore, makes perfect sense now that I think about it for Roselle Park to still have easy access to that channel.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
It's the old Channel 3. What you heard was non-dispatch communications between units that they did not want heard by others on-duty. You were in the right place at the wrong time. They're not supposed to be using it anymore as encryption has not just been adopted as procedure by Roselle Park but as policy. And of course, bad things can happen when someone violates policy...just FWIW.

Well now that it's been posted all over here they probably won't be using that channel any more.

THIS. And the fact that a Lieutenant and a Sargent read these forums.

Analogrules

First off, it is perfectly legal to monitor anything on a scanner, excluding cell phone conversations, that is NOT encrypted. Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with monitoring an officer saying he is getting gas. LOL

Second, ht396jm is correct. I was referring to 159.210. SMH

Analogrules

It's the old Channel 3. What you heard was non-dispatch communications between units that they did not want heard by others on-duty. You were in the right place at the wrong time. They're not supposed to be using it anymore as encryption has not just been adopted as procedure by Roselle Park but as policy. And of course, bad things can happen when someone violates policy...just FWIW.

THIS. And the fact that a Lieutenant and a Sargent read these forums.

I hope they do! I did nothing wrong. SMH

wtp

my typing skills are not what they were after a stroke.
it was supposed to be 159.21 not 32
now does it seem a little more relative??????????????

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
First off, it is perfectly legal to monitor anything on a scanner, excluding cell phone conversations, that is NOT encrypted. Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with monitoring an officer saying he is getting gas. LOL

No you didn't do anything wrong. That wasn't the point Ben. My point was I don't want to see an officer get in trouble for violating department policy considering I've known most of them since grade school. Not everything one hears should end up on the internet, and sometime things haven't been submitted for a reason. That's all I'm saying, and I'll leave it at that.

Analogrules

Fine...although I tend to close call some really interesting stuff, from now on I just wont share or submit to the DB. I have contributed a lot to the NJ DB, but from now on, I will just keep my own notes. Rather not help those who dont appreciate anyway.

mondaro

Feed Provider
Hey thanks for posting, not in this case but some of our RR overzealous moderators love to take down systems and frequencies in many cases are still in play, SMART agencies should always keep their legacy systems and frequencies especially if there where to fail especially NJICS and it will it's only a matter of time, example, Belleville Fire and even Bloomfield has kept their old system up, just an observation.

RadioDitch

Premium Subscriber
SMART agencies should always keep their legacy systems and frequencies especially if there where to fail especially NJICS and it will it's only a matter of time, example, Belleville Fire and even Bloomfield has kept their old system up, just an observation.

Roselle Park still has the VHF repeater in place for just that reason, which it's still listed in the database as a fallback. Cranford, Westfield, and Roselle all have their legacy conventional systems in place also.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Some things are left better unsaid or attention to. I would imagine the problem would be fixed so many working for someone do monitor these forums for one reason.

Analogrules

Btw, 159.210 PL 123.0 is still active for Roselle Pk PD from time to time. I tried submitting it to the DB, but it was rejected. I didnt think RR had a policy to keep tac talk around frequencies out of the DB. At least I have it programmed in my scanner. All that matters I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.