Just Curious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randyk4661

Premium Subscriber
For the non encrypted systems I monitor, Los Angeles city for example
One system for the fire dept.
Group 1 is dispatch channels with normal operation tacs.
Group 2 is fireground tacs.

Second system is LAPD
Group 1 is dispatch channels only
Group 2 is Division tacs
Group 3 is Bureau tacs
Group 4 is citywide and special tacs.

For smaller cities I will do one system with groups similar to the ones above.
one or two groups for the police and one or two groups for fire.

It's the same for Los Angeles county sheriff and fire. Different systems for each with different groups depending on the tacs.

CHP is one system with different groups for each county.

I don't think there is a wrong way to program a radio, you have to program it so it works for you, however that may be.

timhir25

Premium Subscriber
I set my up by county. From there I break it down into scan lists for the different police and fire within the county.

WB9YBM

Just wanting to know how everyone has their scanner set up, is it by county or by sheriff, police, fire and etc.

Happy Halloween Everyone

Happy Halloween to you, too! To answer your question: I personally I assign each bank to either a different service or a different area (like a bank for our favorite vacation spot; here at home have one bank for aero, another for FD/PD, etc.) and if one area (like home) with more frequencies than fit into a single band, use part (or all) of a second bank. (I hope this helps). BTW I developed my own spreadsheet to keep track of everything--it beats trying to remember everything, or scribbling everything in notes....

medic9351301

Banned
Birmingham alabama quad county area :
birmingham city police is using full time encryption since no city pd bank

i have 3 scanners
1 bcd 996p2
the following is my set up
bank/ agency
1. my county 911 fire dispatch
2. birmingham city fire and rescue
3.my county sheriff
4 local law enforcement
5. state mutual aid

1. bcd996xt
a couple non simulcast standalone sites
constant search for new ids .

1 1 bc796 with apco p25 card
just the rest of the analog stuff in my quad county area

wwhitby

Feed Provider
I set my scanner up by county or by service. For example, Autauga County, Elmore County, Railroads, Businesses, etc.

For bigger trunked systems, I will break it up into cities or counties. For example, I have Jefferson County, Birmingham, and Hoover all programmed in separate scan lists so that I can listen to those areas individually.

There's no real hard and fast rule as to the best way to set up your scanner. Its just how it works best for you.

dallascowboys

Thanks everyone. all this is great info not only for me but also for someone just starting out or gets a new scanner for Christmas. Again thanks for every ones help on this.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Birmingham alabama quad county area :
birmingham city police is using full time encryption since no city pd bank

i have 3 scanners
1 bcd 996p2
the following is my set up
bank/ agency
1. my county 911 fire dispatch
2. birmingham city fire and rescue
3.my county sheriff
4 local law enforcement
5. state mutual aid

1. bcd996xt
a couple non simulcast standalone sites
constant search for new ids .

1 1 bc796 with apco p25 card
just the rest of the analog stuff in my quad county area

MEDIC9351301 I also have a BC796 with the P25 card but I've never really figured out where on the programming menu it gives you the chance to input a NAC code for a frequency. Can you give me advice?

Metrofire31

medic9351301

Banned
YOU CANT ENTER A NAC OR MONITOR A TRUE P 25 SYSTEM , YOU CAN MONITOR OLDER TYPE 1 OR TYPE 2 /MIX MODE SYSTEMS OR EDACS NOT USING PRO VOICE FORMATS,

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I think most people narrow down their interests to what directly affects their immediate area. I live in a small town suburb, so local PD is my main channel, fire 2nd, then county so/fd, then Ohio State Patrol, surrounding counties, mutual aid, then local business and dmr, hams, milair, aviation, rails, feds - I listen to it all. From Taco Bell drive-thrus to NASA space shuttle/station transmissions, if it transmits I will hear it. I use a multitude of radios listed below in my signature. Can't ever have too many radios :)

Status
Not open for further replies.