Just factory upgraded PSR-800 no audio/ no battery power

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb3epz

So I just received my PSR- 800 back from Whistler yesterday afternoon.
I installed a new SD 16mb micro SD and setup the scanner per their instructions using the Whistler WS1080EZ Scan software 2.48 Bld 688.
I did a basic library load and everything worked perfectly. Was receiving trunked and conventional traffic no problem. About 30 minutes after powering up, the scanner died. No big, just needs new batteries. I didn't have any NiCad's charged, so I put regular batteries in. Powered it up and it immediately powers down due to low battery. Tried multiple batteries out of new packages. Same result. I plug the USB cable in and it powers up fine and starts scanning. However, it has no audio. I went through the forums searching PSR-800 no audio and tried the following:

1- Removing USB and batteries and held power and another button for at least 60 seconds. Did this multiple times. No change.
2- Restored factory defaults. No change.
3- Reformatted SD card and reinstalled personality. No change.
4- Reformatted SD card and installed factory default configuration. No change.
5- Reflashed CPU using the CPU Firmware Installer - Legacy Upgraded (CPUUpdater_Legacy_U4.8_BOOT2.0). No Change
6- Reflashed DSP version 4.8 using E-Z scan update. No Change.
7- Installed second SD Card. No Change.

I also did #1 after all the other steps I took as well. Not sure if the power and audio are related or not, but I figured I'd mention it.
Not sure what else to try at this point. The scanner was never hacked and was working before the upgrade. Got a clean bill of health from Whistler, I presume because it was in and out of their shop in a few days.

Pretty frustrated at this point. Since it's the weekend, I haven't contacted Whistler yet. Just seeing if anyone has any thoughts. Thanks in advance.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
My scanner was due back today but as usual USPS is running 'late'. Once I get mine, will have to see if I have any problems.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber

:eek: I sometimes wonder if ppl actually get back the same radio sent (internals)? Open a 'tag', and send it back? Look forward to following this thread. :eek:

I sent my mine in years ago when they first came out with the upgrade. I took pix of the radio and S/N and so on. It came back within 2 weeks same radio I sent in.

kb3epz

did you change the switch in the battery compartment for the battery type you're using?
The setting was on NiCd when it came back. I did switch it when I dropped alkaline batteries in. No change.
The dead audio is the part that's bugging me. Oh- I also made sure no audio at headphone jack either.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
The setting was on NiCd when it came back. I did switch it when I dropped alkaline batteries in. No change.
The dead audio is the part that's bugging me. Oh- I also made sure no audio at headphone jack either.
Well then your only choices are to pull the batteries for 24hr, keep trying the power reset and firmware reinstall, or send it back to whislter.

CycleSycho

I sent my mine in years ago when they first came out with the upgrade. I took pix of the radio and S/N and so on. It came back within 2 weeks same radio I sent in.

:) Same here, got the same radio back. I went one step further by marking (dot with a black magic marker) the PCB. Shame they disfigured mine with scuffs on the front, my pictures proved that but weren't necessary. Things happen, I wonder what happened here with KB3EPZ's radio? :)

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
:) Same here, got the same radio back. I went one step further by marking (dot with a black magic marker) the PCB. Shame they disfigured mine with scuffs on the front, my pictures proved that but weren't necessary. Things happen, I wonder what happened here with KB3EPZ's radio? :)
When mine came back there is a big scratch where the serial number is. Since I got it back been having issues with sd card giving errors and sometime in 2019 doesn't keep time correctly its doing the same when the x36 came out.

kb3epz

Sent Whistler a message on Monday. Essentially the same thing I posted here.
Here is the response I got:

Hi,
With just the USB power ( no batteries in the unit), turn it on and press the Weather button ( storm cloud) and follow the steps below.
1) Remove the antenna

2) Select the weather button ( WX or the storm cloud icon)

3) Adjust the squelch fully counter clockwise - left

4) You should hear static - adjust the volume to a comfortable level.

5) Very slowly, turn the squelch knob clockwise until the static stops. If you have a digital scanner, set the Squelch knob to about the 10 o'clock position or SQ level 10

6) Install the antenna
You should hear weather if you are in range of your local NOAA weather transmitter. - http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/coverage/station_search.php or NWR Coverage Maps
Thank you,
John
Whistler Scanner Support

Needlesss to say, I replied restating that there IS NO AUDIO WHATSOEVER.

kd2pm

TETRA Techie
Premium Subscriber
My scanner was due back today but as usual USPS is running 'late'. Once I get mine, will have to see if I have any problems.
Well it took USPS 2 weeks to finally get my scanner to me...but its working fine, louder audio and DMR works fine. No more need to use the old GRE software with the unsigned drivers that WIN10 hates. Whistler did a great job. But..I will let it run for a few days in a row and see what happens.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
I sent the RS version and a GRE version in, got the same radios back, and they were clearly better than before. The RS one even handles the local simulcast system very well, and the the GRE performance was also improved.

kb3epz

So I have a follow-up. I sent it to Whistler and got it back today. They had the unit about a week and shipped it back with the following information-
Repair Made: Replaced Antenna Module
Comments from Technician: Updated library and data.
No charge. It's sitting here now working fine.

DJ11DLN

The ones I sent to them were clearly better performers when they came back...also pretty clearly the same radios. I consider it money well spent and recommend to others who have these pre-Whistler GRE800 pattern radios to get them upgraded. Very happy with mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.