Just gettin started with BC125AT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hankdaddy

I know its a entry level handheld, but gotta start somewhere, Wife got for me for christmas and thought I'd join this forum to see what I can learn.

KK4TTR

I've got the same scanner and couldn't do without it. I listen to mostly local HAM, so the P25 units were overkill for what I wanted. I also want to keep up with VHF, FRS, GMRS, CB for local intel.

Are the P25 units nice, no doubt, but besides being a lot more dough, they're 10 times harder to program.

I've also got a BC355N for base scanning, but the BC125AT goes everywhere with me, mostly commuting around town.

N8IAA

Welcome Hankdaddy. Have a 125 and it is a great little scanner. There are only two frequencies that your scanner won't hear. It is the county sheriff dispatch channel and Salamanca PD dispatch. They are both analog P-25 digital.
Enjoy your scanner.
Larry

dmg1969

Welcome, Hankdaddy. I have a BC125AT and think it is a GREAT scanner for someone who only needs an analog, non-trunking scanner. Feel free to ask any questions and I'm sure one of us can help you. Again, welcome!

Hankdaddy

Thanks for the welcomes, I took some advice I learned here and picked up a Diamond RH77CA antenna, seems to help me get clearer reception, but I think I may need an outdoor antenna for home. Here in Springville we are in a bit of a valley so I think that may be my reception issue. Is anyone else from around this area of NY ?

dmg1969

I picked one up too because I used it for a while here in my office. It didn't really help, but that's because of the building, wiring, etc. At home, it does help pull in more distant VHF and UHF frequencies. Here is a link to the New York discussion forum. You may be able to find some folks from your neck of the woods who can give more insight into reception issues in your area. New York Radio Discussion Forum - The RadioReference.com Forums

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Welcome aboard Hankdaddy. You're right; this is a great place to learn. Been a member here for six years now, and I'm still learning stuff.

I'll agree with everyone else who has said that the 125AT is a great little scanner. Sure, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the higher end models do, but for basic scanning and sensitivity, it's hard to beat a 125AT.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.