Just got a tech license RADIOS????

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillQuinn

hi. i am about to get my callsign in about 1 week for my tech license. ive been looking at 2 radios. They are Icom Ic-V82 and IC-2200H. is the v82 a good radio? i live in the wilmington de area. we have 440 and 144 mhz repeaters all over the place. What is a better band to operate in? 144 or 440? as far as range and whatnot. i also have a few more questions.

1. do hams use 10 codes on the radios.
2. what is the range of a typical 144 repeater?

MUCH THANKS!!!!!!

scannerpro

Welcome to the amateur radio world! I hope you enjoy it!
I can answer your questions.

1. NO 10 Codes @ all. I know on one of the local repeaters here, they dispise 10 codes. I know a ham who got tired of hearing them saying 10-4 that's good and then the other guy saying 10-4 oh yeah and then go back and forth. But it's not proper to use it on amateur radio you will get made fun of. However, it is not against FCC Rules to do that under Part 97.

2. The range all depends on band openings,how high the repeater is,how high the repeater is above sea level. You will find the most of your band openings during the summer time or when a cold front comes in.

I recommend you get a IC-2200H cause thats a heck of alot better cause you get more power I would say.

Welcome to amateur radio!

n2mdk

Both radios are nice the IC-V82 is a nice rugged HT depends if you want an HT or Mobile rig, what your uses are going to be.
I would advise you to use your scanner and listen to the local repeaters, no 10 codes, generally no codes or anything except maybe a 73.
Hard to say how far the repeater will be heard or will hear you. I know in the NYC region most repeaters will hear an HT in the clear from 12-20+ miles away. You should be able to hear the repeater at least as far.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
scannerpro said:
...I recommend you get a IC-2200H cause thats a heck of alot better cause you get more power I would say.

Welcome to amateur radio!
I agree with both of these statements.

Welcome to amateur radio and don't buy a hand held as your first radio. I just posted a similar comment in this post in another thread, read it there, no sense in repeating myself.

N1508J

Congrats!

BillQuinn said:
hi. i am about to get my callsign in about 1 week for my tech license. ive been looking at 2 radios. They are Icom Ic-V82 and IC-2200H. is the v82 a good radio? i live in the wilmington de area. we have 440 and 144 mhz repeaters all over the place. What is a better band to operate in? 144 or 440? as far as range and whatnot. i also have a few more questions.

MUCH THANKS!!!!!!

Welcome to Amateur radio BillQuinn!

Don't know about the V82, but do have the IC-2200H. I find the 2200H a snappy little 2 meter rig for a great price! I like 2 meters but never had a 440 rig to compare too but figure either band is great for rag chewing. If you want to work satellites, then you'll need 440 Mhz and 2 meters. Regarding your questions, let's go last first...depending on obstructions, altitude and ERP of the repeater, an average (?) repeater can provide about 15 to 20 miles range mobile to mobile. Base to base can be 40 to 60 miles using the repeater. Remember, these ranges vary greatly depending on many factors.

NO! Hams have no use for ten codes...and less of them are using Morse code too!

Be sure to use a quality antenna and coax since those factors are more important than the rig you choose!

n2mdk

loumaag said:
I agree with both of these statements.

Welcome to amateur radio and don't buy a hand held as your first radio. I just posted a similar comment in this post in another thread, read it there, no sense in repeating myself.

I have to disagree with Lou I think it's all relative. It depends upon a lot of factors the biggest being where you live.
My example won't be typical but I think should be said. If you are new Ham in a major metro area living in an Apt the mobile might not be any better than the handheld, worse in fact.
When I was first licensed I lived in Queens, NYC didn't have a car, still don't. My first radio was the Yaesu Ft-470, I miss that radio to this day. If you have no place to put up an antenna for the mobile outside with good line of site you are limited to what repeaters you can hit. I was one of the lucky ones I could put an antenna on my buildings roof we had 3 eventually. a Diamond X500 and 2 X300s. I had great coverage but without a decent cavity filter the mobile a Yaesu FT-4700 was almost useless at times, in terms of receive, and that was on the X300.
In a perfect world the mobile is generally the best way to go, but we don't live in a perfect world.
Just my $,02 on a minor rant.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Congratulations! In our house, ham radio isn't just a hobby... it's a way of life. My wife is licensed, and a lot of our friends are.

I have the UHF version if the IC-V82, the U82. I love it. *HOWEVER* I agree with loumaag that a handheld is a poor choice for a new ham. Reference the same post he linked to for my previous comments.

As for 2m vs 440, I don't know about your part of the world, but here in southern California, and many other parts of the country, 440 is not necessarily the place for a new ham, unless you know someone. There are lots of closed, private repeaters that don't welcome strangers - not because they're being mean, but because many 440 systems are very large coverage linked systems, with remote bases, etc. They are frequently "members only" to insure financial support, and proper operation of some very complex systems. That stuff can come later. 2 meters is much easier for the newcomer to get started.

Edit: A lot of new hams get disillusioned with 2 meter fm, so plan on upgrading either equipment, or license (or both) as soon as you can. There MUCH MUCH more to ham radio than 2m and 70 cm repeaters.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Welcome to the hobby

Well, It looks like i'm going to disagree with everyone else so far about the choice of a first radio for you.

Since you are looking at a Icom handheld, you're looking at a radio with a BNC antenna connection. If it was a radio with a SMA connector, like a Yaesu, I wouldn't be giving you this advise because SMA connectors cannot really be plugged and unplugged a bunch of times before the center connector starts spreading and making a poor connection.

By buying a handheld, you're really getting three radios in one. You can use it in the car with a good gain mobile antenna. You can use it as a base if you run an outside antenna at the house. And of course you can use it as a handheld. With an antenna on the car or house, you'll hit all the local machines just fine, even though the radio only puts out 5 watts.

There's my two cents.

kb1awi

BillQuinn. Welcome to Ham Radio! Use the "Q" signals, not the "10" codes. Perhaps we will QSO in the future! 73

BTW, I still use CW!

BillQuinn said:

MUCH THANKS!!!!!!

mlconnell

Wyandotte said:
Well, It looks like i'm going to disagree with everyone else so far about the choice of a first radio for you.

Since you are looking at a Icom handheld, you're looking at a radio with a BNC antenna connection. If it was a radio with a SMA connector, like a Yaesu, I wouldn't be giving you this advise because SMA connectors cannot really be plugged and unplugged a bunch of times before the center connector starts spreading and making a poor connection.

By buying a handheld, you're really getting three radios in one. You can use it in the car with a good gain mobile antenna. You can use it as a base if you run an outside antenna at the house. And of course you can use it as a handheld. With an antenna on the car or house, you'll hit all the local machines just fine, even though the radio only puts out 5 watts.

There's my two cents.

I could not AGREE with "Wyandotte" More. He took the words right out of my mouth. Thats exactly what I do. It's Great to have an HT as a first mcahine.

rescue128

I have quite a few different radios around. never played with the V82. But i have a 2200H and its an awesome little radio, want to get another one. As far as a 2m mobile radio goes, you wont be disappointed with that one. 73's

n4yek

Dubbin said:
No 10 codes but just make sure you say "over" every time you are finished talking :D
:lol: that was good Dubbin.

Another thing, don't say 'The personal here is OR the handle is ....(Your name goes here).' Just say, 'My name is...'
Use common, everyday, comminucation like you were face to face with the person you are talking too.
I know people will argue this one to, 'Q' signals were developed for Morse code and depending on your location, some will frown on you using them on repeaters.
Here is another, use standard phonetics when you say your callsign. You will hear some out there that will use some of the most STUPID phonetics when they tell you there callsign.

Last edited:
One of my pet peeves is when people refer to themselves as "we", when they are just one person!

I have a friend who does that, and the 80 meter guys tear him a new one about it when he can't hear them. That is a rough crowd if you give them a reason.

n2mdk

Highlander_821 said:
One of my pet peeves is when people refer to themselves as "we", when they are just one person!

I have a friend who does that, and the 80 meter guys tear him a new one about it when he can't hear them. That is a rough crowd if you give them a reason.

Guess Queen Victoria would have had a real problem then.

ermin

Welcome to Amateur Radio

BillQuinn said:

MUCH THANKS!!!!!!

My first radio was an Icom IC-24AT in 1993. I still use it today. 2m and 70cm is busy in my area so that's why I got a dual band radio. A hand held with a external base antenna or a good base antenna in the attic should work good if you in the city. I have the little Radio Shack ground plane in the attic and have a ball with it. 2m repeater range depends on the repeater. We get about a 100 mile circle here in flat south Florida.

73 Ed

Last edited:

kc4jgc

Adding my welcome to Bill to amateur radio!

The range of a repeater an ANY vhf/uhf band is dependent on its height above ground and any obstructions between you and a repeater. Remember, vhf/uhf comms are primarily line of sight. Band enhancements, such as tropospheric ducting, can enhance range on repeaters and simplex operations.

Do you still have your tech study guides? There should be a listing of the "Q" signals somewhere. Again, those are used primarily on hf but can be heard on vhf/uhf as well. Plain english works best though. (heck, during my days on CB SSB, the "Q" signals were used there too. If anyone EVER came up on sideband using the 10-codes and calling him/herself by handles, he/she would be promptly informed of the error of their ways.)

I would encourage you to buy the Kenwood TH-F6A triband handheld; especially if there's 222 Mhz activity in your area. It's a good radio for new and old hams alike.

trace1

I have both the ICOM 2200H and V82 and they are both fine (2 meter only) radios. If you want to work both 2M and 70cm you'll need a dual band unit.

As it has already been said, NO "Ten Codes" should be used.

As far as the typical range of a 2M repeater, well that depends upon a lot of variables. Such as location, power, height, etc, which has already been stated also...

Welcome to the world of HAM radio!!!

BillQuinn said:

MUCH THANKS!!!!!!

Welcome to the world of Ham Radio!! I own the IC-U82 and rarely use it here due to the lack of close 440 machines. If you plan on getting out and about with your radio as soon as your name shows up in the ULS database, I would go ahead and get the V82. Otherwise, get the mobile rig. I have a mobile rig in the car, but sure wish I had one here in the computer den. Check this site out ... http://k5ehx.net/repeaters/qrepeater.php ... it's a database of most active repeaters. Moreless an online repeater directory. Zoom in to your area and you can see how close repeaters are to you.

1. NO 10 CODES!!!! Most hams don't use them and won't acknowledge them.
2. Depends on repeater power, how high the antenna is, how high it is above sea level, etc...

73's

[edit] If you do decide to get a handheld HT, be sure to get yourself a good EXTERNAL ANTENNA with a good length of cable. This way if you get somewhere with your handheld and aren't getting out good, the external antenna will help with transmission and reception. You can find a good little external with a small mag mount base at most ham shops. Some will come with the right connector, some you will have to purchase an adaptor. 73's

Last edited:

N8IAA

My first radio was a Yaesu 2m dial-in-the-frequency HH. Hooked it up to a 1/4 wave antenna and 50w brick(amplifier) in the mobile. Had it until I bought a mobile unit with more bells and whistles on it. Have had many in betwen. Get a good dual band ht, dc power cord and a gain dual band antenna. Also, a sma to bnc if you are buying any of the new ht's. That way, you do not wear out the connector. Get an aftermarket antenna, the stock ducks never do well on transmit or receive. I'm sure there will be more replies to your question.
Welcome to ham radio,
Larry
been at it for 23 years

Status
Not open for further replies.