Just Got A Wonderful Base Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcisive

Saw an add for a Ebay seller who is a Ham radio operator and has been designing and building antennas for many years. Saw his complete run down and explanation of his design and what it would accomplish. I bit on it. I cut and pasted his schpiel so you'd know what it was all about. Gotta tell ya I'm getting tons of stuff I never heard before let alone the fact it's coming in nearly full strength most of the time. Airport stuff which is 30 miles from me comes in like it's around the corner. Before it typically didn't come in at all. That's in the 124-125 range. The 400-460 range is so strong now I'd say the signal to noise ratio went from decent to dead quiet, at least a 3db change. What a pleasure now to listen to most of the broadcasts. 800mhz stuff is strong and dead quiet as well. I took it and with tie wraps mounted it on an upright fixed mic stand I had but was never using anymore. Placed it in the end of my closet which faces an outdoor facing wall. Raised it to the ceiling. Ran it's provided RG8X cable along my base board behind my desk so I don't have to see any cable but it's sure doing a fine job. Here's the blurb that was on Ebay when I bought it. Highly recommended. Some of the better $50 investments I've made. here is his advert.

SUPER SCANNER TWO BASE ANTENNA

Up for sale is a totally new Scanner base antenna that covers reception from 28 mhz. thru 1200MHZ from well known Antenna designer Lowbander. It works with all modes: Analog or Digital transmissions. Great for Listening to Trunking Systems!

The Super Scanner Two has 4 separate elements inside the plastic tube so users will get maximum single band resonant frequency performance with the highest signal strength. This is a features many antennas on Ebay do not have!

BEWARE OF SCANNER ANTENNAS THAT ARE UNDER 19” IN LENGTH! USUALLY THEY WILL BE NOTHING MORE THAN RUBBER DUCKIES JUST STUCK INSIDE A PVC TUBE!

Buyers should also BEWARE scanner antennas here on Ebay which are fed with RG-59 coax!!! Same for RG-6 coax, both are a 75 ohm coax and all scanners have a 50 Ohm input impedance! Using RG-59 or RG-6 coax creatures built in signal loss from mismatched coax. Comparisions to RG-58 are meaningless!!!

This is why I use high quality , low loss RG-8X coax, which is 50 Ohm coax. This is especially important on the UHF bands. No lost signal strength from my antennas!

The Super Scanner Two is guaranteed to hear better than the telescoping rod antenna that comes with most base scanners!

It has a single element for reception on the 28mhz-220 Mhz range(This includes CB channels, the Aircraft frequencies, 2 Meter Ham, Fire and Law enforcement frequencies), another element for the 400-500 MHZ range(This includes Ham, Fire, Police, local government frequencies), a third element for the 800-900 MHZ band, (This is the new popular Law Enforcement & Fire frequencies, Cell phone bandsand ham bands) and a fourth element for the 1200 MHZ. band(Mostly Ham and some Law Enforcement frequencies). Each element is carefully tuned for maximum signal reception so the antenna performs like 4 separate mono band antennas. A ground plane element for each band is enclosed in the PVC tube and completes the antenna. Many scanner antennas sold on Ebay never mention the groundplane, because their antenna does NOT have a built in groundplane, which seriously affects the performance. The Super Scanner One has 4 separate groundplanes, one for each of the 4 separate antennas!!

Enclosed in a sealed PVC tube, the antenna is a waterproof unit for outdoor use in any weather conditions. It is approximately 34" in length.

The Super Scanner Two Antenna comes with a 20 foot length of low loss, RG-8x coax , of high quality, which means excellent performance and more signal to your radio! It has a standard BNC connector on the coax to plug directly into almost all base scanners.

FYI:

Scanner users should understand that the VHF/UHF radio signals transmitted by police, fire, govt., public service agencies, and ham repeaters are mostly line of sight signals. . Scanner listeners in mountainous areas may have serious problems this factor. This means if your home is in a valley or location that is in a low spot, geographic terrain (hills and mountains) will block your reception of signals. This is true for ALL ANTENNAS, unless you install an antenna high enough to see over the low areas, your reception will be limited by these natural features. Height above ground is the most important feature of a good antenna installation. It might be smart to consider the same antenna but with the 50’ of coax so it can be raised higher in the air. Beware of Ebay Sellers who don’t mention this and just brag about their antennas. Honesty in selling is important and Lowbander has always followed this practice

* ALL BNC COAX CONNECTORS ARE SOLDERED!! NO CHEAP CRIMP or TWIST ON CONNECTORS HERE!!

Just like all VHF-UHF antennas, the Super Scanner Two Antenna works best at the highest height you can install it. This model of Super Scanner Two is designed for mast/ tower installation. It has the same antennas inside as the Super Scanner One Antenna which is also sold on Ebay. See the pictures below on how the antenna is attached to the mast/tower. Stainless steel hose clamps are used to secure the antenna to the mast/tower. These clamps are NOT included with the antenna because everybody’s installation is unique to their location. This cheap hose clamps can be purchased from Lowes/ Home Depot or just about any hardware store. Automotive stores also sell these as radiator hose clamps.

The Super Scanner Two is an easy installation. If you can turn a screw driver you can install this antenna! A recent customer sent this picture(last picture above) over of how he installed the Super Ham/Scanner 3 at his QTH. All he added was a short piece of mast(not included in the auction) and attached the antenna with hose clamps as recommended. Great results were reported with this set up and shows any easy way to install it!

SPECIAL LINKS ARE INCLUDED IN THE INSTRUCTIONS TO SCANNER DATA BASE FREQUENCIES LISTS!!!

Instructions for installation will be sent to buyers in a PDF format at the end of the auction.

The Super Scanner Two Antenna is shipped via Priority Mail in a special tube. Orders go out the next business day! Flat rate shipping of $13.45.

DON'T FORGET TO CHECK OUT MY OTHER SCANNER ANTENNAS ON EBAY!!MANY BUYERS PURCHASE THIS ANTENNA AND FIND OUT LATER THEY NEED MORE COAX LEAD IN CABLE. THE SAME ANTENNA IS AVAILABLE ON EBAY WITH A 50' LENGTH OF COAX. CHECK OUT MY OTHER ANTENNAS.

Lowbander has been making and selling antennas on Ebay since 1999, and is a trusted name on Ebay. He has been making Ham antennas for over 50 years! With a FCC Amateur Extra Class license, Lowbander built his first antenna in 1961! Quality you can trust!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
RG8x has higher loss than RG6. The impedance mismatch causes less than 0.2dB of signal loss, so bragging about using RG-8x merely displays the seller's ignorance. You are significantly better off using RG6, even with the impedance mismatch on the scanner input.

I suspect the antenna is not nearly as wonderful as it could be if it was designed and built by someone who actually knew what he was doing.

dcisive

RG8x cable used IS in fact 50ohm impedance which is what the radio is rated for. 2nd the 20ft of cable with it's 1.5db loss isn't enough to worry about frankly. I'm in a rather good reception area to begin with but this allows me reception of things I'd not heard at all before and lowering the noise floor of those I was getting considerably. I'd say it works........

bigcam406

id say that if you are happy with the purchase and it performs to your satisfaction, congrats on your purchase. the specs are meaningless if it surpasses your expectations,which by the sounds of it,it did.

SOFA_KING

Delusional!

How about some real specs? You know...polar charts showing showing "loss" over a dipole as a reference?? Both E plane and H plane??? All I see is a huge pile of marketing hype with nothing to back it up.

And yes, another cheap@$$, high-loss, RG8X pusher. Unbelievable.

You too can make lots of money on evilBay by deceiving people with huge pile of marketing BS to hoodwink the unknowledgeable who wouldn't know the difference, wouldn't know how to interpret real specifications if you even presented them, and want to believe in the BS so bad that they will swear by it...even if the antenna works as good as a coat hanger.

Pathetic :(

Phil

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
RG8x cable used IS in fact 50ohm impedance which is what the radio is rated for. 2nd the 20ft of cable with it's 1.5db loss isn't enough to worry about frankly.

It's still 0.46dB of signal you're losing by choosing RG8x over RG6. And the longer the cable run, the greater the loss you'll have with RG8x. The only time you're better off using RG8x is if your cable run is less than 5-1/2 feet--that is the break-even point where the increased loss of RG8x is offset by not having the impedance mismatch of RG6.

And that assumes that the antenna is designed with a 50-ohm impedance to exactly match the coax. If that is not the case, then you're still getting the mismatch loss where the signal enters the coax, and using RG8x offers no advantage at all.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I've learned - never buy anything that is sold by snake-oil adds.

More mumbo jumbo on that add than a cheap show at Magic City.

K1IWN

I recently upgraded to an Austin Spectra thru ScannerMaster after looking at other website cheapies and eBay scams and I am more than happy I went with it. When I pulled it out of the tube and saw the polar chart, I was convinced that was the right antenna to suit the purpose I was looking for. While billed as a mobile, I use it as a base with excellent results. I'll get an external antenna for the house eventually, but I am thrilled with it.

Reception is ears to the beholder, and every area is different for a variety of reasons. If I am going to spend money, I want something with a reputation behind it, and save up money over a period to get it.

I feel bad when I see stuff like this. While reception may be improved and improved rather significantly, without a polar chart one should question what is being missed out on. It's deceptive.

Enjoy your purchase. I hope you can get the most out of it. I wouldn't have gone that direction, but that is just me.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
+1 With 'jonwienke'. Where are the ground planes?! Also, I want to SEE the inside of the PVC pipe and look at the so called "...four..." elements. For all we know, it could be just a single 20 gauge wire inside that pipe.
Showing the "antenna" as he does on ebay, leaves a lot unknown.
If you are getting great reception, great, then you may have a good buy. But as you posted, "I'm in a rather good reception area...", is on your side for reception and atmospheric condition helping you also.
But untill I can see the actual antenna itself, I'll not pluck down $64.44.

SOFA_KING

I've learned - never buy anything that is sold by snake-oil adds.

More mumbo jumbo on that add than a cheap show at Magic City.

Exactly!

So you go from an indoor antenna to an outdoor antenna. That right there is going to improve reception dramatically, even on a coat hanger. :roll:

Phil

garys

Premium Subscriber
I'm running a Radio Shack version of the Antennacraft ST-2 with about 50 feet of RG-6. I have no problem receiving signals from low band up to 900Mhz. As I recall impedance is only really important for transmitting. RG-6 is well shielded since it's used for fairly long runs in cable systems.

OTOH, this antenna comes shipped in a special tube, so it has to be good.

It's a shame that the ST-2 isn't made any longer. Great antennas at reasonable prices.

dcisive

Just out of curiosity

I'm a born tinkerer as well. I'm wondering if there is a web site that would tell what the various lengths for a antenna would be for the various frequencies (eg: 6" for 800mgz, 18" for 450mhz etc.). Does a site revealing this exist? It might be good reading. I'm sure some math has to be applied no doubt. You're absolutely right as well on the "ground plane" being a necessity for proper performance no doubt. Just let me know if you are aware of a good site to visit. Thanks

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There are dozens, for all different types of antennas.

Ground planes are needed for 1/4-wave monopole antennas, but not for dipole antennas.

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
dcisive, just use the formulas for a general idea of antenna length.
Here's some that may help. Just divide the formula number by frequency.
For general purpose info of wavelength of signals/antennas:
λ = wavelength
1/4 λ : 234/frequency = length in feet
1/2 λ : 468/frequency = " " "
5/8 λ : 585/frequency = " " "
full λ : 1005/frequency = " " "

For example:
1/4 wave length of antenna for 2 meters is:
234/146.0 Mhz = 1.6 feet (or ~19 1/4 inches)
That will give you the general length of most antennas you need.

SOFA_KING

Don't forget that is only half of the antenna. You need an equal counterpoise, like a ground plane. Fine, if you mounted it on the metal roof of your vehicle, but not going to work as a base antenna without that counterpoise. So that 70" low band radiator needs an equal 70" ground plane...or a 140" center-fed dipole.

And by the way, as illustrated above, low band antennas are pretty large. You could shorten them by loading them with coils, but then they become even narrower in bandwidth...and you need an equal counterpoise that is just as large. I don't see it all fitting in that "tube".

Face it...You got rooked, dude. :(

Phil

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
If the antenna you are using does everything you need and expect, then it's a good antenna for you. The specs may not the world's best, and it may not look like much, but the bottom line is what comes out of the radio end of the coax.

(I'm balancing out the negativity) ;)

bigcam406

If the antenna you are using does everything you need and expect, then it's a good antenna for you. The specs may not the world's best, and it may not look like much, but the bottom line is what comes out of the radio end of the coax.

(I'm balancing out the negativity) ;)

I basically said that in an earlier post.

SOFA_KING

That's right. Just pretend it's a good antenna. We wouldn't want reality to get in the way. ;)

Phil

EDIT: Not to rain on anyone...I just don't like seeing people get taken advantage of. Someday I hope the OP gets the chance to hear the wonders of what a real antenna with real low loss feedline can do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.