Just got HP-1 back from Uniden repair..worse than it was when I sent it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
All that wait and it comes back, seems even deafer than it was before I sent it in! I can barely get anything on WX, the local channel barely comes in, none of the neighboring ones do at all. That's on the Diamond SRH789, on the stock antenna, I have to hold it above my head to get 162.500 at all, and it's hissy. One my Pro-106 and PSR-500, it's almost full quieting on the stock duck, and I can hear one other transmitter pretty well, and another is weak, but readable. On the paper that came back with it, it said they "cleaned contacts, and updated database". I punched in the zip code after I unpacked it, and let it go. The Pro-106 sitting next to it is jabbering away with all kinds of traffic, hardly a peep out of the HP-1. MARCS is coming in ok, not as good as the GRE radios, along with the Lucas County P25 system, but I haven't heard a peep from any of the Railband, VHF-Hi, or UHF conventional freqs so far. I'm bummed out, my PSR-800 wasn't worth keeping, and now the HP-1 is proving to be a dud, and an overpriced one at that, especially with the extreme upgrade:mad:. I put the squelch all the way down, and it does pick up some of the Bowling Green/Wood County, Oh transmissions, but barely. :(

It worked quite well when I got it. I guess it's off to Uniden again, and then it's probably out of here. Shades of the past when I sent in my BC-205XLT years ago and they kept it a long long time and it came back without (as far as I could tell) anything being done to it. Same thing with another old base Bearcat scanner, maybe it was my 210, can't remember. They didn't fix it either, they missed the cracked solder joint a local guy found and fixed in minutes.

lindsay34654

It seems that all you are really worried about is the weather channel. I do not get it. you ever thought of changing antenna's with the radio. Every area has different issues. Like 800 in my area is hard to receive out of county but VHF and UHF I can receive for over 50 miles easy. If I go to Orlando I can pick up my county on 800 almost 100 miles away but the next county 15 miles away I have a hard time hearing. It is the way some areas program their repeaters. you seem to want to blame Uniden for everything all the time. I have been using Uniden/Bearcat/ etc since the 60's and have great reception with all the radios and I have had about 30 of their models in that time.

it all has to do with antenna's

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
According to his post he has tried a different antenna (Diamond SRH789). I don't think he is 'worried' about the weather channels, they are just convenient to use when trying out new antennas, radios & such since they are always active. I know that's how I usually test a new antenna... see how many weather channels I can pull in. And the fact that his other radios using stock rubber duckies receive his local systems very well would certainly seem to indicate there is a problem with the HP-1 or it's being desensed by something. I find my HP-1's reception pretty much on par with my Pro-106.

SurgePGH

Premium Subscriber
According to his post he has tried a different antenna (Diamond SRH789). I don't think he is 'worried' about the weather channels, they are just convenient to use when trying out new antennas, radios & such since they are always active. I know that's how I usually test a new antenna... see how many weather channels I can pull in. And the fact that his other radios using stock rubber duckies receive his local systems very well would certainly seem to indicate there is a problem with the HP-1 or it's being desensed by something. I find my HP-1's reception pretty much on par with my Pro-106.

Look back at previous posts... He complains that everything he has is deaf.

sragen

Awhile ago I had to send the XT back for repair. It was returned with an explanation of a repaired broken weld. It also did not work right. I resent it back within the 30 days and they replaced the radio. Yes it cost an additional mailing, BUT, if your not happy, return it. In my little experience, Uniden did the right thing.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
It seems that all you are really worried about is the weather channel. I do not get it. you ever thought of changing antenna's with the radio. Every area has different issues. Like 800 in my area is hard to receive out of county but VHF and UHF I can receive for over 50 miles easy. If I go to Orlando I can pick up my county on 800 almost 100 miles away but the next county 15 miles away I have a hard time hearing. It is the way some areas program their repeaters. you seem to want to blame Uniden for everything all the time. I have been using Uniden/Bearcat/ etc since the 60's and have great reception with all the radios and I have had about 30 of their models in that time.

it all has to do with antenna's

I don't care about the WX at all, it's just an easy and continuous signal to base VHF-Hi receive performance on. It doesn't have anything to do with antennas! If you actually read my post, you would have seen I put a Diamond SRH789 on it, with poor results and I also put my magnet mount antenna on it, but didn't mention it. It's deaf as a rock, it barely picks up the CC from the MPSCS system that blasts in on all my other radios. My 106 and PSR-500's are picking up all kinds of stuff with their stock antennas. If I put the mag mount on them, they pick up even more traffic. It's pretty funny, when I had a bad experience with my PSR-800, I got "You're blaming GRE for everything!" comments. LOL.
BTW, I go back to the "Little Tiger" days, and have owned many Electra/Uniden radios. Most of them worked fine.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber

Mine was about equal too, but since about the time I did the "extreme upgrade", it went deaf. Oh well, it's only money, right? I need someone to show how an HP-1 comes apart so I can see if it's just the antenna connection.

sjlamb

I do? My PSR-800 was, and my HP-1 is now, but my Pro-106, PSR-500, and my Pro-197 have been fine.

I'll take a chance and give you $300 for your broken HP-1 (provided that you have not opened it)... or, if you prefer... a new, in the box GRE PSR-600.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.