Just got my first scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richsandwich

I just got a uniden bc355n for my jeep. I've learned how to program it and I'm starting to learn. Question is can I make it only scan my programmed channels? It's picking up alot of frequencies and coming in as static in and out with no audio. I hit the lo button but it continues to scan and picks up alot of garbage I don't want to listen to. I would rather it only scan the 30 or so channels I have programmed into it.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the forum, and the hobby! When scanning a large swath of frequencies, your best bet is to lock out the ones you don't want to hear. When mobile scanning however, those interfering frequencies may change periodically. Looking at your scanner, there's a "Private" button on the left center of the front panel. If your scanner works similar to an older, and almost identical, RadioShack model I own, you can program frequencies of your choice into that bank. You should then be able to scan the "Private" channels by themselves, eliminating all the stuff of no interest. You may also find that those frequencies you've programmed in are subject to interference from adjacent channels. If the bc355n doesn't have tone encoded squelch, CTCSS, built in, which it doesn't seem to, there won't be much you can do about that.

Last edited:

Richsandwich

Thanks I figured it out. I just had to switch off all the pd/fd/emg ect. scanning and now it only picks up my private bank. I love this scanner at work I can pick up my local police and fire from 10miles away.

Xray

Is "private" the only bank custom channels can be stored ?

Hard to see much use of that, I've had it about a week and trying to decide if its even worth learning how to program.
I got it only for airshows and basically need at least 2 banks for different airports. If I have to lump all freqs in 1 bank it is being returned pronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.