• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Just got my G4 charging base...

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
Is it ok to leave the G4 in the base 24x7x365, whether the G4 is on or off? Hopefully assuming the base knows how to not overcharge the battery.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
If you plan on leaving it in the charger all the time, i would recommend that after the first year, check the battery for swelling every 3 months. I have a few at my office that never leave the charger and after 2 years boss said get battery replacements for all G4 units and the ones in the charger had swelling. Its kinda normal for that to happen over time anyway but you dont want it to get to extreme.

eorange

♦RF Enabled Member♦
If you plan on leaving it in the charger all the time, i would recommend that after the first year, check the battery for swelling every 3 months. I have a few at my office that never leave the charger and after 2 years boss said get battery replacements for all G4 units and the ones in the charger had swelling. Its kinda normal for that to happen over time anyway but you dont want it to get to extreme.
Do you think the charger contributed to this, or was it just the age of the batteries? Probably hard to know. I ditched my original LiPO battery in favor of a Li-ion, and now on my 2nd Li-ion just because the 1st one seemed to not hold a charge like it used to. None ever swelled.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
Age of battery. I also had 1 swell in 1 of the 3 that i either carry with me (carry 1 and maybe 2 with a 3rd in laptop bag). LOL no i dont carry all 3 at the same time. But one of those also had a swollen battery. One of the ones on a amplified charger also swollen but that unit was in a shop with no air conditioning. I know heat is very bad for Li Ion batteries.
I will also say that many years ago i had 6 Verizon droid phones running BoInc and they were always plugged in. After 1 year all 6 had severely swollen batteries. Those units also ran a bit warm which contributed to the swollen batteries.