Just Like When I Wash The Car It Then Rains...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ridgescan

...and every antenna is now working at its zenith, I get a notice from building management that they are going to replace all the windows/frames here. That means a lot to this shack because the feedlines for the Wellbrook loop, its rotator, as well as the D130J scanner antenna exit the shack through a hole I made in the bedroom window frame!
Naturally, I won't be able to make another hole through the new frame they're about to put in so, those two antennas are in peril. My 180' endfed wire exits my shack through the cable TV hole that already exists in the living room wall. That antenna feeds the R75 in the living room as well as the R8600 at the desk in the bedroom. So I'm VERY lucky there that I'll still have those rigs running.
I'm already devising a plan that after they're done, I'll be moving the scanner and its feedline to the living room from the bedroom and hopefully, the feedline/rotator line of the Wellbrook.
I have two problems though; That cable TV access hole will not be big enough for all these lines! The other problem is they would have to pass across a 10- line cable TV feed bundle on the roof to get to the antennas and they will be much closer to power lines. Where they exit the shack now, they are at a comfortable distance from that bundle as well as the power lines.
So at this point, I'm just lamenting. There's a strong possibility I may lose use of the Wellbrook and the D130J, which I've been having up there for many years:(

ridgescan

They make window feed through panels, or could you just open the window a bit and slip in a piece of wood with some weatherstripping? Make a hole in the wood and you're good. I have observed what you have done with your setup. You're clearly able to do the latter.
Hey vagrant you're right:) Believe it or not, I never thought of your ideas until you posted them-thanks! And your thoughts prompt more possible things in my head. I'm not yet aware of even what style windows these will be-sliders, crank-outs (what I have now which made me do that access hole in the frame) etc.
This will be an on-the-fly thing as they make changes.
Hell I'm the only resident in this 10-unit building who has screens because I endeavored to custom-fab screens myself (I hate spiders) so that's even another thing I'll have to deal with. Hopefully they will come with screens this time.
I may even try and talk the window guys into providing me an access point in their new frame that can be re-covered when I leave? We will have to see.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
What, a print catalog?? How very 80s of you, Ridge (heh). Seriously, here's the link from the MFJ website

Mike

ridgescan

What, a print catalog?? How very 80s of you, Ridge (heh). Seriously, here's the link from the MFJ website

Mike
Ha Mike! Thanks:) I get the HRO and MFJ mags twice a year here.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
You can save a LOT of $ and DIY a window pass thru...as well you can customize it to your current cable needs and leave room for the future! Unless of course the put in crank windows...I hate those!

ridgescan

You can save a LOT of $ and DIY a window pass thru...as well you can customize it to your current cable needs and leave room for the future! Unless of course the put in crank windows...I hate those!
I have the dreaded crank-outs now. Do they still put those type in nowadays? I'm hoping they won't with the new ones so I can act upon the ideas in here including yours.
At any rate, I'll be letting you all know what's happening as it happens.
I thought about this today: every window area in my home has a listening station in front of it! The R75 and its dedicated table and listening recliner/easy chair are in front of the huge living room windows; the Korting Delmonico is on the kitchen table in front of the kitchen windows; and the SX-88 as well as the Sony A/V receiver are each on their respective tables in front of the bedroom windows.
I'm going to have to move all these out of their way when the time comes. Hell that SX-88 is 94lbs.!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It may be hand truck time, Ridge. Don't complain- the power supply for a R390A series is on a cast iron brick (essentially) and if you lift it wrong, it's hernia time....Mike

ridgescan

It may be hand truck time, Ridge. Don't complain- the power supply for a R390A series is on a cast iron brick (essentially) and if you lift it wrong, it's hernia time....Mike
Well luckily the Hallie is right next to my bed so I'll just pick it up and set it on the bed and cover it. I can handle it no sweat but I haven't been in the custom of regularly lugging heavy stuff for a while now.

WA8ZTZ

ridgescan

I like that one-and I can add any color finish I want:) Nice price too.

WA8ZTZ

I like that one-and I can add any color finish I want:) Nice price too.

Not sure which one you are referring to, that link should show a half-dozen panels.
Some have provision for control cables (think Wellbrook).
Anyway, let me know if the link is broken.

majoco

Stirrer
Ridgy - what floor are you on with respect to your antennas? I think you said that you have a ground to an aircon vent or something like that. Can you possibly run your cables through the outside of that duct. The pics you have shown make me think that your antenna site is far too good to give up easily - don't give up my friend. Only another 5 or so years before them sunspots come around - or is it go away - I'm getting too old for this!

ridgescan

Ridgy - what floor are you on with respect to your antennas? I think you said that you have a ground to an aircon vent or something like that. Can you possibly run your cables through the outside of that duct. The pics you have shown make me think that your antenna site is far too good to give up easily - don't give up my friend. Only another 5 or so years before them sunspots come around - or is it go away - I'm getting too old for this!
Hey Martin- I am on the top floor and just my wire antenna is direct-grounded to a cold water copper vent pipe up there on the roof. I think one of the terms for this is "plumbing vent". The Wellbrook and the D130J aren't grounded up there.
That wire antenna will be the only survivor of this as its feed doesn't enter a window.
There will be a way back for the two antennas come heck or high water once this is over-I don't give up:) they zig, I zag!
It's no mean feat that I've had three substantial antennas up there on an apartment building for all these years.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Make up some unterminated RG142 jumpers and when the window installer is there ask to slip them under the new window frame before it is caulked into place. put wood shims under the frame so the cables dont get crushed. You might have to remove the window sill to pass them into the house.

Or flat "coaxial" cable, though it is 75 ohm.

ridgescan

Make up some unterminated RG142 jumpers and when the window installer is there ask to slip them under the new window frame before it is caulked into place. put wood shims under the frame so the cables dont get crushed. You might have to remove the window sill to pass them into the house.

Another good one thank you. I don't know-I have to be very careful with this. I'll already be "asking" for far more than my neighbors will-they won't even ask for screens I'm sure. I think if anything, I will just ask for a pass-through hole big enough for two feeds and rotator line. Something that I can assuredly reverse as if nothing happened when I leave-and I do plan on moving out ASAP. Just a matter of my gal landing a decision on a home of her liking. I was supposed to be out of here in March of this year but she didn't like the homes we looked at.
Or I'll wind up with one of those MFJ dealies that I can take with and then use in the new house.

ridgescan

Well I have good news-I just spoke to the lead of the window crew and he told me he wouldn't make an access hole in the new frame BUT he instead will drill a proper access hole in the wall right next to the window, big enough for my two feed lines and rotator line! Complete with plastic insulator sleeve! Nice. He said then when I leave, the next tennant could make use of the extra access hole for their cable TV or even if they want an outside TV aerial. Smart guy! There's hope after all. He said he'd get with me before he does it so as to know exactly where I need the hole made.

Status
Not open for further replies.