Just Like When I Wash The Car It Then Rains...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB46

Wish I had your luck, ridgescan! Any access to the outside here would have to go through two frames: The one for the sliding balcony door and another for the sliding screen door on the outside of that. Feed-through panels would have to reach the entire height of the frames, roughly 78 inches; any gaps are out of the question, due to our cold winters and the flying insects during the rest of the year. Also, the panels would have to stay in place when the doors are open and shut during warmer months.

It would be a wasted effort anyway, as an outside antenna would only be a couple of feet away from where my antenna is now, making it nearly as close to the RFI in the building, and a couple of feet closer to the power lines running along our street. I count 3 high-voltage power lines on a main circuit, and, sharing the poles, some TV and phone cables at a lower level. Those lines are probably a major source of RFI, too. Loops are no solution, either, as the AM loop in my portable finds noise in every direction.

Well I have good news-I just spoke to the lead of the window crew and he told me he wouldn't make an access hole in the new frame BUT he instead will drill a proper access hole in the wall right next to the window, big enough for my two feed lines and rotator line! Complete with plastic insulator sleeve! Nice. He said then when I leave, the next tennant could make use of the extra access hole for their cable TV or even if they want an outside TV aerial. Smart guy! There's hope after all. He said he'd get with me before he does it so as to know exactly where I need the hole made.

Make sure you respond back to him with a pack of "suds" showing your appreciation.

73 to ya...

Just Me

ridgescan

I'll see about this but I think I will just give the guy doing it (the foreman) a handsome wad of cash for his trouble. Heh-I don't know if Asians appreciate "suds" as deeply as WE do:D

ridgescan

It's going to be a while before I can update you guys. They are only on the third of 10 units as they are finding lots of termite damage in the walls and are doing major body work on this building. This is going to be a nightmare when they finally get to my place:( I want to be here when they are and they've been working that third unit for almost two weeks! Nowhere near done yet.

ridgescan

Windows are in today!
Guys, I had a bad heart attack Sunday night, one big artery completely closed. Luckily I was able to receive the stent and they cleaned out the blockage. Just came home yesterday evening.
So this guy did a NICE job with the feedline pass-through. The Wellbrook and D130J feedlines, and the rotator line all come in comfortably next to the radio desk. They go straight up the outside wall to the antennas just the way I like, neatly!
Now begins the process of returning every darn thing back to how it was. So it will be a bit, due to me recovering, before I can set at any one of my rigs and enjoy the VFO spin.

And here's the guy who did it and, would not accept ANYTHING as payment not even beer! I tried believe me. His name is Tin and he owns his construction company. And in my book, he is a badass for what he did for me and my shack!

ridgescan

Thanks everyone! It is so good to see you in here after that. And man, the pain with a heart attack. Way too much. I've had kidney stones and this is easily twice worse.
I already have the Icoms back in action, just have to re-do the connector on the D130J feedline so I can have the scanner running again.

WA8ZTZ

Wow, sounds like you had a close call... good to hear the docs got you repaired.
Looks like a pro job the construction guys did with the pass-through.
Meanwhile, take it easy.

ridgescan

Just wanted to give an update on what's been happening here since the new window installation. I think I told you guys earlier that the window installs revealed a wood rot nightmare internal to the building. Well this turned into a major demolishing of the entire exoskeleton of this poor circa 1963 structure! A stucco firm came in and ripped out all the stucco and rotted bits of the structure, rebuilt that structure and re-stuccoed the whole thing.
I got a chance last Sunday to venture out onto their scaffolding to finally catch a glimpse of my feed lines coming out of the wall. They stuccoed them in! They pulled the sleeves but did not replace them. So now I won't be able to change out the feed lines if I need to. They did the same thing to all the TV cable feeds as well, which will cause the cable company to have to drill and re-sleeve if they ever need to change out their own lines. Their lines though, are at the fire escapes where mine are on a wall without any outside access.
Oh well, I'm supposed to be moving sometime this year anyway so hopefully my lines will hang in there and when I'm gone, the new tenants won't be able to utilize that line access for OTA TV and such as was the original idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.