Just made Extra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikedp

Just passed the Extra exam last night. Should have done it a long time ago. But anyway, before leaving one of the VEs told me it would take about 1-1 1/2 weeks before it shows up. But he also said something about...until then to use my current call sign with a /AE (amatuer extra) at the end. Is that usually the case? Thanks.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
Congrats.
Yep, that's the procedure when you are operating on band portions which require your new license level. When on the other band portions no further ID is required.

Mikedp

Thanks, it feels good to have it. So I didn't realize I could operate in the "Extra" band before it shows up in database! Now I understand what he was talking about.
With that being the case, is it possible to request a vanity call sign change now, or does that need to wait?

Last edited:

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Thanks, it feels good to have it. So I didn't realize I could operate in the "Extra" band before it shows up in database! Now I understand what he was talking about.
With that being the case, is it possible to request a vanity call sign change now, or does that need to wait?

Personally, I think you'd be better off waiting until your upgrade is posted in the ULS. It's one less potential screw up for the FCC.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber

I would assume it would be best to wait until your new license class is in the database first.

As for the use of your new privileges, using /AE after your current call is what the FCC regulations make provision for. There is no need to wait.

Hit_Factor

Just passed the Extra exam last night. Should have done it a long time ago. But anyway, before leaving one of the VEs told me it would take about 1-1 1/2 weeks before it shows up. But he also said something about...until then to use my current call sign with a /AE (amatuer extra) at the end. Is that usually the case? Thanks.
This was probably a question on your Tech exam.

As other have posted, you are good to go. Congrats.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300, IC-PW1, ID-5100A, ID-51A Plus 2, IC-R30, Hytera PD782G, Kenwood TH-D74, Uniden SDS100, DVMega, SDRplay RSPduo

Token

But he also said something about...until then to use my current call sign with a /AE (amatuer extra) at the end. Is that usually the case?

Keep in mind there is no requirement to use the /AE except when you are using your new Extra privileges. So for any operations covered under the authority of your old license no need to add the /AE.

T!

Mikedp

This was probably a question on your Tech exam.

As other have posted, you are good to go. Congrats.

73, K8HIT
Icom: IC-7300, IC-PW1, ID-5100A, ID-51A Plus 2, IC-R30, Hytera PD782G, Kenwood TH-D74, Uniden SDS100, DVMega, SDRplay RSPduo
Well, I don't remember seeing that particular question on my tech exam...of course that was 9 years ago. Out of curiosity however it would be interesting to see where this question was on the tech.

It was.. but may not been one of the many in the pool chosen for you to answer..

Sent from my Static Discharging Device using very fast moving protons, electrons and neutrons....

needairtime

Actually it would have made more sense on the General or possibly Extra question pools, not Technician - Technicians would have no need to know this detail. I didn't find something about this on the Extra pool, I suspect if you needed to know this for General, there's no need to ask about it again for Extra...

G1D03, G1D06

And section 97.119f.2,3 for the big cheese.

Congratulations on your Extra!

Last edited:
Congratulations on your Extra.

I would have gone that route myself, but the little bit of additional bandwidth and bragging rights didn't interest me, but for you... WAY TO GO (y) !!

BaoFeng Blogger KN4OTS

Mikedp

Thanks. I once felt that way too, but my main desire is chasing DX. And I've noticed many times that quite a few DX stations seem to congregate in the Extra portion of the band.

W5GX

That's what your CSCE is designed for. Read it in full, just for grins. :p

You can request a vanity call at any time. Check out AE7Q.com as a great resource.

Congratulations!

Hit_Factor

Personally, I think you'd be better off waiting until your upgrade is posted in the ULS. It's one less potential screw up for the FCC.
Based on what they don't enforce, I wouldn't worry about.

/ae is a part of the law.

73, K8HIT

needairtime

Yes, just say your call plus slash-A-E when operating on the Extra portions of the bands. You got your CSCE passing element 4 and the three VE Extras that signed it to vouch you have your Extra. Don't sweat it.

W5lz

Requesting a vanity call. You can do this anytine you want, but... It's a good idea to only have one 'application' active at one time (you don't wanna confuse those poor people). One thing at a time, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.