Just moved to Denver area and would like some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wxjeremy

Hello everyone. My name is Jeremy (amateur radio call sign N9JTW) and I just moved to the area back in February. I'm looking to get a new digital scanner so I can monitor local pubic service. I have a Bc125AT which worked fine where I came from, but I know I'll need a digital scanner to get most anything around here.

My question is which would be the best (probably handheld) scanner to use for this area? I've looked at the database and wiki, and see that Denver city/county are on an EDACS system, correct? Now is the entire system on an encrypted provoice system or only certain channels. Ideally I want to make sure I don't waste my money on a $500 scanner only to find out that Denver Fire and PD are fully encrypted.

I'm in the Littleton area just inside Denver Co. I also work in Lakewood and would likely want to listen to their system as well.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Ok it looks like the Denver Public Safety EDACS system is monitorable and a BCD 396 XT will do that system as well .......can someone clarify if it has encryption or not?? based off of the information submitted to the DB I'm guessing it's not

Last edited:

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
If you want to listen to Denver, you better buy a scanner soon and listen while you can. If you are interested in DTRS I would strongly suggest the newest Uniden scanners, which in my view are more compatible with DTRS than the 396XT. Also the MARCS, FRCC, Westminster and/or Arvada P-25 systems will eventually switch to "Phase 2", which CANNOT be scanned by anything other than the newest Uniden's or the PSR-800.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Ok it looks like the Denver Public Safety EDACS system is monitorable and a BCD 396 XT will do that system as well .......can someone clarify if it has encryption or not?? based off of the information submitted to the DB I'm guessing it's not

No Denver Public Safety is not enc.

Jim<

04Z1V6

When I am down town I think my 396XT does best . When I am traveling I think my pro-106 is better with the overall DTRS. If you can spend the money go with the newest Unidens. My feeds are all pro- 197's

Steve2003

Hi Jeremy,
For Denver you will want to make sure your scanner supports ESK, other then that most everyting else in the Denver Metro area is P25 phase-1 right now. It wouldn't hurt to consider looking at a phase-2 capable scanner as some north metro area agencies are starting to test phase-2 P25.

Also, you should also reach out to Jimmnn and ask about the Mountain News Net service. More info about MNN can be found on 5280fire.com.

If you need any programming help I am in Littleton and can lend a hand if you need any help.

-Steve

MikeyB

On another note that may be useful to the OP- with Adams County going to purely simulcast, I've all but lost my ability to listen with my PSR-500 because of the GRE problems with decoding simulcast. Do the Unidens work better on this system? It seems the OP isn't too far from my location.

Steve2003

On another note that may be useful to the OP- with Adams County going to purely simulcast, I've all but lost my ability to listen with my PSR-500 because of the GRE problems with decoding simulcast. Do the Unidens work better on this system? It seems the OP isn't too far from my location.

I completely agree with MikeyB on this one. Down here in Littleton (West of Broadway between Littleton Blvd & Arapahoe Rd) the only way I have been able to listen to the Adams County Simulcast / FRCC system is with my BCD536HP and a directional antenna.

I posted a YouTube video comparing a few different scanners / antennas on the site back when it was part of DTRS earlier this year in the following thread:
http://forums.radioreference.com/co...-admins-expecting-bcd536hp-2.html#post2119016

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
New To Denver

Every Sunday night at 8 pm local time the Rocky Mountain Monitoring Net is held on the 147.225 MHz CRA repeater in Denver. It is linked to the 146.16 MHz repeater in Colorado Springs or the 447.575 MHz repeater. All of those repeaters use a 107.2 PL tone for access. CRA used to have a link to the 145.46 MHz repeater in Boulder but that link has not worked in a year.

Much of the conversation is about public safety monitoring but we also discuss aircraft and railroads as well. We periodically have discussions about broadcast AM / FM in Denver also. Those who don't have a ham license are certainly welcome to listen on a scanner...

This net has been shared since the 1990's with a lot of expertise out there... Join us!

wxjeremy

Thanks everybody for the info. If I do purchase a new scanner, its likely going to be the 436. And Mojaveflyer, I'll definitely check out that net. I may have already inadvertently listened to it before.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
On another note that may be useful to the OP- with Adams County going to purely simulcast, I've all but lost my ability to listen with my PSR-500 because of the GRE problems with decoding simulcast. Do the Unidens work better on this system?

Users in the Uniden forums report the new x36 radio's do not work any better on simulcast systems.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
New To Denver

Every Sunday night at 8 pm local time the Rocky Mountain Monitoring Net is held on the 147.225 MHz CRA repeater in Denver. It is linked to the 146.16 MHz repeater in Colorado Springs or the 447.575 MHz repeater. All of those repeaters use a 107.2 PL tone for access. CRA used to have a link to the 145.46 MHz repeater in Boulder but that link has not worked in a year.

Much of the conversation is about public safety monitoring but we also discuss aircraft and railroads as well. We periodically have discussions about broadcast AM / FM in Denver also. Those who don't have a ham license are certainly welcome to listen on a scanner...

This net has been shared since the 1990's with a lot of expertise out there... Join us!

That SHOULD be the 145.16 MHz repeater in Colorado Springs... Sorry for the incorrect info!

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I would say the 396XT does okay with Adams Simulcast, the signal does "routinely" break-up at seemingly random intervals, which is very annoying, but overall you can follow traffic pretty well.

wxjeremy

thanks again everyone for the help. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a 436. I'm haggling on a used one right now (he's asking 450, I'm offering 425), but if that doesn't work out, looks like I'm going to have to wait for someone to get stock of it since it seems to be sold out everywhere.
Steve, once I get one, I may have to take up your offer on some programming help. I've taken a look at the sentinal software already and trying to get familiar with it. Already seeing a lot missing in the way of amateur radio repeaters so I'll like have to add that as my own favorites list.

wxjeremy

Quick update, seller accepted offer of 425 for the radio (it was hardly used and in near new condition). So hopefully by this time next week, I'll up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.