Just ordered a SDS200. Need antenna ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shansen1785

So just ordered the SDS200. Any one have any good strong antenna suggestions sor other components to get for signal control and quality? Going to Ham Radio Outlet this week and picking it up but want a good strong antenna for use. I have a small condo so i cant have a towner .... at least not yet l0l?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
This setup works pretty well for me:

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
So just ordered the SDS200. Any one have any good strong antenna suggestions sor other components to get for signal control and quality?
iMONITOR's suggestion to start with the stock telescoping whip that comes with the radio is a good one... it will let you know whether... and how much... you're missing. And what sort of improvement is needed (if any). But tell us more about what "good strong antenna" means to you... Is it any one or more of the following:
- Able to receive every frequency from DC to daylight?
- Offers "good strong" signals on every band for everything you want to hear in a 200 mile radius?
- Able to withstand 200 mph winds?
- Able to survive direct lightning hits?
- Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound? (Look... it's a bird. No, it's a plane... It's SuperAntenna!!)
Seriously... tell us more about what you have in mind, what floor of your building you are on, whether you have an attic or crawlspace, any chance of getting outdoors... particularly on the roof, and what you want to listen to.

mc48

Premium Subscriber
I have good luck with a Remtronix 830B for a 700-800mhz P25 system, but they are not as good as the stock antenna for VHF.
I can't say how they perform for UHF.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
+1 on the RR HomeBrewed Off-Center Fed Dipole. However, works best if mounted in an attic or crawlspace. Next choice would be to hang the wire version in the highest window / sliding door / balcony of the building that faces the direction where most of the stuff you want to listen to is coming from. But we need to know more about the OP's "small condo" (same questions asked earlier in the thread).

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's only good tor 800MHz and the 300MHz milair bands. It's not a good general purpose scanner antenna.

N9PVW

Premium Subscriber
I build this antenna about 5 years ago for inside my shack, it works very well. Total cost was around 15.00 dollars. the PDF came from this site

Attachments

• antenna.pdf
    558.2 KB · Views: 70

merlin

Best outdoor antenna I have found is the discone. Install a Scientific Atlanta MM drop amp near the antenna, ( this is a very low noise preamp)
Use a good low loss coax from the amp into your shack, you will hear everything that can be possibly heard.
For indoor use, the stock antenna with this works well, especially in 'close call' mode

Status
Not open for further replies.